Thread: Almost running good.

Default Almost running good.

I'm fully stock with low miles, and can acheive great idling. The problem is top end and accel. New plugs/wires, points/condenser, coil, rebuilt carb, new rubber lines, cleaned out the fuel system from end to end. The carb has been a pain from the start due to letting the truck sit for 6 mos. at a time. I took it apart this week to stop it from sticking wide open, and it still isn't right. I get drips from under the bowl when the throttle is whacked and the motor is off. The last trip around the block seemed good on the low end, but when pressed it seemed to backfire out the carb(blowing off the air cleaner bonnet) going .vvvvvrrrrrr pop vvvvvvvrr pop vv pop vvvvvvrrrrrr. I thought I had set the timing pretty well but now I'm wondering if set by the #'s it actually is not where it wants to be. Any suggestions would great.

Mine did pretty much the same thing, with the addition of dieseling when I shut down. I set the timing to the book and it runs great now.
    -- Tim Taylor

What do you have the timing set at right now?

When your engine "pops" is it at high speed when your on the throttle, or is at high speed right as you let off the throttle, or while your off the throttle and slowing down?

Have you adjusted the carburetor needle valves? Have you tried experimenting with richer/leaner Air/Fuel ratios?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Quote Originally Posted by rpgdeity View Post
    What do you have the timing set at right now?

When your engine "pops" is it at high speed when your on the throttle, or is at high speed right as you let off the throttle, or while your off the throttle and slowing down?

Have you adjusted the carburetor needle valves? Have you tried experimenting with richer/leaner Air/Fuel ratios?
    I did my best to set the timing to the specs. The pop comes as I lay into the throttle in 4th gear, not so much in 1st and 2nd. As for the needle valve, I've been struggling with the carb so I have to dial that in yet. What's a good starting place for that? 4-5 turns? Seems like every time I think I have the carb in a good place, it leaks or sticks. I'm thinking I will have to rebuild again. How's the best for rebuild kits? Surplus city has them for $40, I guess that's the going rate.

There was a recent thread in the Stock forum that discussed carburetor rebuild kits in great detail.

Here it is: Stock carb kit info
    -- Tim Taylor

"I did my best to set the timing to the specs."

What exactly do you have it set at right now? 5, 10, 15 degrees? Before or after TDC? I ask because I've seen several books now all with different recommended timing numbers.

"As for the needle valve, I've been struggling with the carb so I have to dial that in yet. What's a good starting place for that? 4-5 turns?"

Screw the needles in all the way, then back them out 1 1/2 turns. Start from there. I think you are running way too rich (that is if you have it set at 4 turns right now). Unscrewing the needle valve will give you a richer mixture, screwing them in will give you leaner. What do you have the needles set at right now?

Carburetors are funny things. Super finicky, but rather robust once you dial them in. You have to play with your carb and adjust the needles a lot to get it dialed in. It just takes time.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Just for reference...stock spec is 5 degrees before TDC.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

It was set to 5 deg BTDC I believe as quoted from the manuals. As far as I can tell the needle was set to the 1.5 turns at the last rebuild and it should still be there but who knows now. It's like I have to start over again.

same burping issues with mine but only if i jump in and head out down the road with out giving it a chance to warm up a bit or mess with the choke too much. my timing is to spec, the carb looks ok but is in need of an adjustment which i suspect is the culpret...
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889