Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st post go easy on me... M715 cab on a J10 frame?

Default 1st post go easy on me... M715 cab on a J10 frame?

I found an M715 body/bed and also a J10 frame. I know the frame is too long but will the cab set down on there OK?

It already has a 360/auto/power disk front brakes on the frame.

I already read the thread where he put the M715 bed on the J10 and it looked a little long

Thanks!

No one has tried this before?

I want the convertible top setup with modern driveability.

An option is to move the axles but I'm not a welder
    Last edited by Bassackwards; May 18th, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

I'm not familiar with the J10 frame. I've seen a bunch of posts talking about the cab panels being the same, J10 seat being a bolt in, steering column, etc... Also read where the front clip is a bolt on. I'd guess the cab would bolt right on.

If the back half of the frame is different I don't see a way around that that doesn't involve some welding. Unless you want to leave the J10 bed on it.

The front half the frame should be fine (although cab mounts moved at some point in J-trucks). The reverse has been done many times - I have a M715 with a J-truck cab.

The J10 has a shorter frame, which you would have to extend. Other than that, no big challenges.

One thing to keep in mind is that the suspension/axles are substantially lighter duty than the M715 ones. I don't know if that matters to you.
    Last edited by Mikel; May 18th, 2018 at 07:01 PM.

I also found a J20 (longer) and a J-3000 that should be the same length but pretty pricey to mutilate.

I am OK with Dana 44s, I will not be rawhiding it that much. I have to have power steering and power disk brakes though.

A J20 would have a better drivetrain, but the wheelbase is longer than a M715. The J3000 would likely have the same wheelbase as the M715, but more archaic axles.

I could have the rear axle moved forward on a J20 frame. There are good welders close by I just want to have the most cost effective plan before starting.

I also have a 2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV that I could hack up. 6.0 AWD but it is 130" long and sits low.

Apparently it is only worth $3k or less and the drivetrain should be worth that.

I saw the Suburban swap and it got me thinking......

If a lift kit didn't cost $2k I'd have my donor with AC and a kicking Bose stereo

The j truck axles are way to narrow under the m715 fenders. They are even narrower than gm solid axles.

I ended up purchasing a M1028 that has been hacked up so now I have to decide what to do. It really needs a full body. I could slap an M715 on it but the wheelbase is not perfect
    Last edited by Bassackwards; June 3rd, 2018 at 11:00 PM.