Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 230 Distributor Problem(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    In the description of oil pump installation in the TM, they mention orienting the slot in the oil pump shaft at 10:00 & 4:00. Is that 10 & 4 looking to the back, or to the driver side?
    That's looking down from the side. Oil pan 12 o clock, front of engine 3 o clock.

Starting at the 10 & 4 position, insert the pump and as the gear meshes with the crank gear, the pump shaft will rotate and the slot will end up at 3 an 9 oclock position. Make sure that the narrow part of slot is up.

Sorry for the lack of timely "real time" questions. It has been a very busy month for me

Thank you Dan, and please don’t take my frustration as something directed at you. I felt like I was casting my questions into the void, and that’s frustrating when you’re trying to outrun weather like this:

No rush now, just waiting on a gear and spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am so confused. Can someone post a photo of the correct orientation? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by txleadfoot View Post
    I am so confused. Can someone post a photo of the correct orientation? Thanks
    JeepDan did in post #19. You have to zoom in, but you will be able to make out that gear properly installed with the shoulder to the rear, next to the engine block.

You can also look at the illustrations in the online TM's. They're a little fuzzy, but you can make out the proper orientation of that gear.

I pulled the gear today, it's in great shape, Ill ship priority mail tomorrow, the stepped part goes in toward the crank.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    I pulled the gear today, it's in great shape, Ill ship priority mail tomorrow, the stepped part goes in toward the crank.

Mark
    Thanks Mark. Be sure & let me know what I owe you.

Thank you also for the reminder, but at this point I have an acute awareness of crystalline clarity concerning the proper orientation of that gear. I'm just lucky I wasn't farther from home when it cratered.

The pic in post #44 remains burned into my consciousness.
    Last edited by Nailhead; December 15th, 2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Needed to add some info.