Thread: 401 jeep v8

Default 401 jeep v8

i heard that the amc jeep 401 is a direct fit to the M715 manual transmission.
    while also a discontinued motor, i'm thinking it would make for a good power upgrade. can anyone confirm that it bolts up to the transmission, and what about the existing engine mounts ?

You need a bellhousing for a T98 to mate to a 401...the T18 to 401 wont work as the bolt pattern is different on the front of the trans...though maybe it could be drilled to work.

Then the stickout would have to work...there are stickout lengths from 6.5 or 7 inches out to 16 inches...this is thelngth from the front ofthe tran to the end of the input shaft. The stock unit is around 9 inchs...though I will look for the exact spec.

I dont know that there is a bellhousing that fits your need...

If the input stickout is wrong, the input from other t98's and maybe even t18's will intrchange...though there are at least 2 different spline counts and right and left hand rotation units in addition to the different stickout lengths...makes shopping in the junkyard a headache...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Jester Guest

The 401 is the same as the 360 I did.

AMC 360 swap

Its not a "bolt in" but it is prob the easiest swap that there is. You will need the bellhousing off the T18 and the input shaft. The shaft can be swapped into the T98. Make sure you get the trans spacer too.

The motor mounts from a FSJ replace the stock ones w/o too much fuss.

PM me if you want specifics on anything.

Buy my 401/ t18 / d20 and you won't need any adapters

Jester Guest

You want to make sure you get a T18 long input and spacer out of a FSJ if you want the trans to end up in the same spot as stock.