Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: finally bought an m715

Default finally bought an m715

Hi All,
    I have been lurking on the site for a while and I recently bought a 68 m715 with a very tired but running 230 in it everything stock except michelin xls and marsh wheels. My brother has a good running 72 chev 427 truck motor that he is willing to let go for 300 bucks, it runs good no smoke or knocks. I will probably go sm 465 or 420. All I have right now is the engine alone with nothing else. I did some research on the site and correct me but it looks like I will need the following:

Chev bell housing and sm465 from 70's or 80's pickup 2wd.
    big radiator from big block chevelle
    fab some spicergear motor mounts (or open to suggestions)
    what headers should I use? or are there any manifolds that will work
    12v alternator and brackets
    I will probably have to fab clutch linkage
    I live in the Rochester,ny area so if anyone has some of this stuff for sale let me know

I'm not that good with wiring so if someone has a simple wiring diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

Has any one put together a list of tips and part numbers for this swap?

the more info the better thank you

for motor mounts you need to get the motor on a lift and see where you want it, and put on some hedars, or what ever you want to run becouse some of the hedars wont fit...

what i did was get some 2 by 3 inch squair tube, and some plate, i had cut one end at a 45 angle, and the other at a 90... i had cut a plate, and drilled holes so the stock chevy clam shell style bushing/ mout fit right in, and welded that plate on the 45, then welded the other plate on the 90, then on to my frame... if i knew where the camera was i would take a pic for you.

i have a 6.2 so i dont have headers so not shure if it would fit.... but nick had took some chevy mounts going all the way to the frame, and exstended them and plated them, and he has alot of room, and can fit anything becouse their exact same as a stock chevy truck...

my idead works great so far, i can get all the measure ments if you want them... they look prety slick, and seem very strong, prety nice that i can use the stock chevy rubber as well.

i also have a tranny mount done as well, save the scraps from cutting the angle, i had used all of it to make a tranny crosmember... i have a 465 with married 205... ill try and find that camera.
    my signature is sweet huh?

a easy way to do this is

1. get some all thread and angle steel... you can get a jack stand under the tranny, and a cherry picker for the motor... get it roughly where you want it, and get the all thread.... cut some angle about a inch or two long, drill 2 holes....

for the front of the motor what i did was hook up the all thread to the harmonic balencer and tack a plate to the frame, i was able to move it right or left, and then i cant rember exactly, but i welded a plate on the front of the frame, and was able to push or pull the motor...

then for the tranny bolt a plat to the back of the tail housing, and take a plate to the frame. this will allow you to aligh up everything

the only problem i had was adjusting the angle, but once your on level ground set up some jack stands, and let it sit on those while you do it, dont worrie to let it sit their for a day or two, take your time, i had thrown somany ideas... its all time and measurments

sorry about the posts, im typing fast, and not paying attention....here ill try and find the camera and set everything how i had done it

trust me, i tryed to put my motor in just by eyeball, and its harder that way then by measuring...for now cut everything out, stock mount in the garbage, their easy, i tortched mine off, just melt the weld and they will pop off... and the stock tranny mount goes, cut the crossmember mounts as well other wise your t-case will hit it. prety much gut all the stock mounts...

hope that helps you out, let me know if you need anything....ill try and find some pics... i cant explane it that good... its like i know what to say but i cant type it haha.
    my signature is sweet huh?

foodstamp thanks a lot, I appreciate the reply, any piictures of what you have done will be appreciated thanks.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Hi Husky, welcome to the madness!

I have swapped in a 396 Chevy into my 715. A few pics are listed below. They will fit pretty easily and without a lot of mods. As far as a parts list though, I have a legal pad full, so much too many to list here!

Keep in mind a couple things about the 427 truck motor though:

They are taller than the car engines.

Intakes and such are not interchangeable, so you'll have to use the intake that comes with it. There are a few available, but they are pricey.

Accessories and brackets for such are different than the car engines too.

They also have very different pistons and ring setups and also are not interchangeable with the car versions. This makes them quite expensive to overhaul.

The 427 and 366 are very similar motors. I am putting the 366 in mine. You may want to look into a deuce trans as they have an overdrive gear. The GOBS of torque and low gears will let you crawl over obsticles at very low rpms. If I had found a 427, thats the route I would have gone. You can get adapters for about $75 that will let you run "regular" intake manifolds, but the stock setup on these motors is fine for what I plan on doing(just getting a little more power).
    "We are here for the meeting!"

They are definitely a torquey engine, hence the reason for putting them in the heavier trucks, dumps, etc....

Are the manifold adapters still available? Do they still use the dual thermostat cooling systems too like the early 366/427's did? Been a while since I looked under the hood of one of those trucks.

Yup, I almost bought an adapter last week. Mine has the dual thermostat (what is the theory behind that anyway?) Mine came out of a 72 C60. I got the whole truck for $400, removed the motor, 5speed trans,winch and radiator, than scrapped the truck for $415. I just want the ease of Chevy parts and the od trans for longevity. I am putting in a 205 Tcase too.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    Yup, I almost bought an adapter last week. Mine has the dual thermostat (what is the theory behind that anyway?)
    My understanding (and I am not certain of this) is that it was a redundancy thing in the heavy-duty trucks. Since they usually had huge radiators, I also believe it allowed for better regulation of the cooling temps when dealing with 10+ gallons of coolant. The stock big blocks in the cars held about 6 gallons dry.

Anyone else have any other input on this?

Nice work Randy, the install looks like it is coming along nicely. I realize there is a lot of fab involved and likely some trial and error as well. There seems to be a lot of guys swapping motors in these trucks and everyone shares info with each other which is cool. I'm sure I will have some questions for you and Gimpy Rob along the way. Hey Gimpy Rob and Randy what trans are you plannin on using? I have a SM420, prolly use that but the deuce trans with od sounds cool I did a search and it seems doable.