Thread: brute4c : IH 366DT w/ 6 plus 1 manual trans in M725

Default brute4c : IH 366DT w/ 6 plus 1 manual trans in M725

IH 366DT w/ 6 plus 1 manual trans in M725
    Post by brute4c on Aug 18, 2006, 11:47am

YEP!! It was amazing to me that it had been done...the man who built it, riding shotgun in one of the pics, let me ask questions and take pics...he has no computer, thus didnt know about us crazies....he was tickled that I even wanted pics!!!

OK...specs and such....engine is a IH 366 DT 6 cylinder diesel...its HUGE!!!! Note that the firewall is moved back to roughly the dash!! If you look at the interior pics, you can see how big the trans tunnel is now, where the tcase shifters are and how the heater box is almost completely NOT under the dash but out past it.
    The trans is a 6 plus 1 for overdrive IH trans that was behind the motor...use what ya got I guess....the master cylinder and power brakes are also from same donor...stock drums at all 4 corners....owner said it was overkill but what the heck, it works...

The radiator he said was from some Chevy that was out in the field...the steering column, from a bread truck...said it basically bolted in...

The wheels are 19.5 rims with 8R19.5 tires...when I asked, he told me they had 100's of them laying in the railyard...he works for the railroad...with 8 bolt patterns...he welded up the 8 hole, drilled the 6 hole pattern in and turned the center hole to the right size...roughly the same size as stock in height, narrower, and 1 piece rims...the tires are 'M724' type by Bridgestone...thats the name on the sidewall...kinda cool!!

There is one shot of how the exhaust routes from the turbo, out the fender, over the frame and then it goes to the passenger side just ahead of the tire with a BIG outlet pipe....nice!!

He has the push buttons in the door jambs to turn the interior lights on and off...the lights are red LED's mounted on the underside of the dash, pointing to the floor.

Note the "brush guard"...he said it was a bit stouter than the "almost plastic one" that comes stock...

A simple trail and farm rig....that all it is.

Default brute4c :

Re: IH 366DT w/ 6 plus 1 manual trans in M725
    Post by brute4c on Aug 18, 2006, 11:49am

I fogot to add above...he added 2 leaves to the front spring pack to keep it level....think that motors heavy?

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Aug 18, 2006, 12:00pm

Nice.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Aug 18, 2006, 12:01pm

Where was this? He needs to get on the Zone so we can ask questions!

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 18, 2006, 12:51pm

Iola, Wisconsin....its between Stevens Point and Appleton....much closer to Point...though I am not sure where the owner actually resides...it was at the military show here.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 18, 2006, 1:54pm

Sweet!

that looks to be about the same size as a Cummins 6bt, maybe a touch longer. Cool!!

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Aug 28, 2006, 7:14am

I guess if a 366dt fit, there might have been room for a Duramax.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Aug 28, 2006, 8:56pm

After looking at them I think its cool that he did it, but I also think its stupid. That motor would have been better in like a M211 or a early M35. Can we say over kill much like the brush guard.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Aug 28, 2006, 9:45pm

I thought it was a bit too much motor - but a really nice install job.

Maybe he tows Ford 1-tons for fun or something!

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Aug 29, 2006, 7:53am

Looks like he did a clean install. I wonder what it is like to drive, alll that weight would be no problem for that motor, but I would hate to have to stop it in the rain, those tires are kinda on the skinny.