Thread: wi715 : Lubriplate 630-AA grease

Default wi715 : Lubriplate 630-AA grease

Lubriplate 630-AA grease
    Post by wi715 on Nov 22, 2006, 8:21pm

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a Garwood 10K winch off of a M35. I want to use it as an assembly lube. Any problems with this?
    I got 6 pound bucket at an auction for $2.00
    Here some info I have found,

http://www.lubriplate.com/Products/MultiPurpose.htm

http://www.f-bacon.com/lp-g630.htm

John

Default tacomainoh :

Re: Lubriplate 630-AA grease
    Post by tacomainoh on Nov 22, 2006, 11:26pm

I wouldn't use it for anything supercritical until I found out what "bentone" means. LOL

I have to start on rebuilding my winch as well, have you found any helpful manuals/websites??? I d/l'ed the relevant TM's off Steel Soldiers already.

Default wi715 :

Post by wi715 on Nov 23, 2006, 1:35am

I have the 630 not 930 type.

BENTONE GREASE IS A NON-SOAP THICKENED GREASE
    There are many types of these non-soap thickeners, the most common is bentone. Bentone clay grease is used in high temperature application.

Some info I found WAS on tpub.com but not anymore. Found the manual again on Steelsoldier

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?m....fid=file&pid=76

Look at chap 16.
    Took me over an hour to download. Man I hate dialup.......

John

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Nov 23, 2006, 9:08am

Lubriplate is basically white lithium grease. It was used for years as an assembly lube in engines before better things came along. Some old timers will still use it as cam break-in lube, which I do not think it is well suited for, personally. At any rate, white lithium is great for small mechanical gears and motors that use both metal and plastic gears. A good example is power window motors and regulators. I wouldn't use it in a winch, but it does have a lot of other good uses. For the winch, I'd only use what is recommended by the military. Just my .02

Default wi715 :

Post by wi715 on Nov 23, 2006, 9:42pm

What would you use?

I plan on using 80w-90 gear lube. I want something to lube the seals and bushings on the drum shaft which is above static gear lube level.

John

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Nov 24, 2006, 8:22am

Check this thread: http://m715zone.proboards102.com/index.c....read=1163626805

It has two links in it that have the manuals on PDF files that can be downloaded that tell you everything you need to know about servicing and operating that winch. I wouldn't use anything other than what the military recommends for it.

Default twostorms :

Post by twostorms on Nov 26, 2006, 12:37am

Give me a day or two and i will see if i still have a military lube tech manual from when i was still in the Seabee's. It should have military and civilian equivalents of what your looking for since i worked on construction equipment then
    Just have to dig through the my pile of junk first

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Nov 27, 2006, 9:27am

Steelsoldiers has just about every manual available now through LOGSA as well as a lot of older, out of print manuals. The link I posted above has the link to the proper winch manual.