Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: hummer103 : What Trailer to Pull a M715?

Default 40grit :

Re: What Trailer to Pull a M715?
    Post by 40grit on Oct 20, 2006, 10:50am

actually, the machinists inadvertantly tested a come-along just like the one I used..they were hoisting a oil pump out of the unit with the 125ton overhead bridge crane, the base of the vertical motor hooked under a beam without any of the workers seeing it, so they kept signally for the crane to keep lifting, they figure the come-along took about 25 tons of pull prior to snapping the end of the hook off...not bad for a 2 ton come-along....

but I agree with you, I didn't use the "preferred" method, but sometimes you have to use what you have available...there is no danger in most set-ups if you are careful and drive super cautiously...

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Oct 20, 2006, 10:51am

FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE WHAT ABOUT THE INNOCENT ONES YOU,LL HURT CAUSE SOMEONES TO LAZY OR JUST PLAIN DONT CARE AND HURTS SOMEONE. COME-A LONG FOR TIE DOWN ??????????

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Oct 20, 2006, 10:59am

I'm not picking on you, Mark...honest! But this is making a good discussion.

Quote:
    the base of the vertical motor hooked under a beam ..... crane to keep lifting, they figure the come-along took about 25 tons of pull prior to snapping

But that's a steady pull...how many tons of force if it was a shock load, like rearending somebody? Take that 3 ton load on your trailer, and decelerate it in just a few yards from 65 down to 20.

Quote:
    ...there is no danger in most set-ups if you are careful and drive super cautiously...

So what about the 15 million or so other drivers on the road that are not careful and super cautious? Surely, you've driven in LA traffic before.

My opinion, instead of air bags, all cars should have a 3' steel spike that'll spear up out of the steering column in an accident. Just think how carefully everybody would drive then.

Default jeepkaiser715 :

Post by jeepkaiser715 on Oct 20, 2006, 11:35am

xjchief how can i find those pics?

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Oct 20, 2006, 12:03pm

DP,
    here in LA, most of the time you don't need to chain it to the trailer...with traffic moving at a brisk 3 mph, there isn't much chance of it coming off the trailer as long as the parking brake is set...LOL

Bob,
    not too lazy or don't care, what if you have a problem on the road and can only use what you have available...if we all had a bazillion dollars like you) hehe, jab, jab), then we could all afford every single piece of towing equip to cover every perceivable situation sitting around waiting, but I'm just saying don't tell someone their set-up is going to kill people until you know ALL of the facts about why it was done that way...

p.s come-along is made with the same chain you are using for tiedowns, along with alot more manufacturing restrictions due to lifting vertically, so how is it less unsafe?

I watched a carhauler run a trailer full of suburbans into a railroad overcrossing, all the truckers chains broke as the 'burbs conformed to the bridge... nothing is unbreakable, we all strive to use the best equipment we have avail...but if something really bad happens, it's going to get loose no matter what....chains and such are only designed for the normal driving situations...

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Oct 20, 2006, 12:07pm

now stop screwing around with the trailer tiedown arguement and let's move onto the real problem,

why do people try to tow heavy things with substandard tow vehicles? I'd say that's far more dangerous to try and tow something well beyond the manufacturers stated towing limts than to not have chains everywhere...

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Oct 20, 2006, 12:11pm

Both are problems. Which mag was it that tried to tow a M715 cross-country behind an SUV on a rented too-small trailer?

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Oct 20, 2006, 12:22pm

BE SAFE IS ALL I CAN SAY . IF YOU HURT SOMEBODY AND YOUR NOT SECURED PROPERLY YOUR GOING TO PRISON. SAME AS SHOOTING SOMEONE WITH A GUN. ALWAYS OVERSECURE.LOAD AND TRAILER SHOULD NEVER SEPERATE EVEN IN A MISSHAP. TROOPERS CAN DRIVE UP NEXT TO YOU A SEE YOUR SECUREMENT WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD ALSO. THERE TRAINNED FOR THIS THANK GOD.

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Oct 20, 2006, 1:11pm

Mark, it sounds like you had a much better than average come-along, too....I was thinking one of the HF ones with the laminated construction and 3/16" wire rope.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Oct 20, 2006, 2:27pm

oh, sorry, not those come-alongs, the chainfall ones with gr80 chain, rated 2 tons vertical lift, rachet handle, locks in place, wrapped the chain around the handle...
    plus the sling around the rear axle and trailer frame was a 25 ton vertical iirc.. like 6" across the web, heavy re-inforced nylon...

just the stuff laying around work when I decided to go pick up my 715..