ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old March 14th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Civilian

Old Steel Guns is a Soldier
Default Parts

Hello guys,

My name is Giovanni Galeano, I live in Centennial Colorado and I recently got a great M715 rust free waiting for restoration. I need some, help this is also
my first time using a forum. I need to find an original front bumper for my truck and other parts like filters, spar plugs and the canvas cover.
I guess my question is do you know any reliable places for all of this?
Much appreciated
Giovanni Galeano
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Chief 9-flats

Barrman is a Soldier

Welcome to the Zone and welcome to the fun world of green iron!

Stock tune up parts are a mix of your local auto parts store and several places around the country. Reading through the stock forums and using the search feature will let you find all kinds of threads about tune ups.

Then the biggest decision you have to make is all stock or stock with a few things from other military vehicles. Do you have Troop seats? If not, then to get a cargo cover, you either need to find stock Troop seats, build your own from stock Troop seat hardware or cut down some M35 Troop seats. Same with the bows for the top. After that comes the actual cover. Canvas is heavy, doesn’t last very long in the weather and really doesn’t keep out rain. However, M101 trailer vinyl covers will fit. So will CUCV vinyl covers. I have put both on mine for camping.

If you were talking about canvas for the cab. Do you have the cab sides and top bows? If so, new life canvas.com is the place to go. Mona will get you what you want. Several other places such as Webbe webbing. I think I spelled it correctly. Also make tops. Mona will make you one with a drop down black out curtain in the back and with the entire rear that rolls up for summer ventilation. Both very desirable features that no one else has.

The Military Vehicle Preservation Association or MVPA has a regular magazine they publish. Become a member and get the magazine. The advertising alone will make it worth your while. Might even be an article you learn something from.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.
Old March 15th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Corporal

Nailhead is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Steel Guns View Post
Hello guys,

My name is Giovanni Galeano, I live in Centennial Colorado and I recently got a great M715 rust free waiting for restoration. I need some, help this is also
my first time using a forum. I need to find an original front bumper for my truck and other parts like filters, spar plugs and the canvas cover.
I guess my question is do you know any reliable places for all of this?
Much appreciated
Giovanni Galeano
Giovanni, welcome to the campfire! I might know of a bumper up in Wyoming-- I'll have to check.
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

Welcome to the zone brother! If you need anything specific just post in wanted and some zoned might have the part.
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Sergeant

glenn is a Soldier

I don't think I have any stock bumpers that aren't tweaked. If you have a good steel place you can get one bent up that is stronger than stock and then you can add the shackle slots with a hole saw and sawzall. I think there are some threads here on the zone about it.

What else do you need? And welcome to the OD sickness.
Old March 15th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Private

ColoradoSpringsRob is a Soldier

Welcome to the party!

I live down in Colorado Springs, and have a '67, and have recently gone through your learning curve, and it continues! To Barrman's point, yeah, you just have to kind of poke around to find what you need, once you nail down your restoration philosophy.

I am sort of going for modern reliability/safety with a 'stock look'.

The links are not posting correctly, but check out the thread about the best $1,000 to spend, and the 'Merica build to see how my project is moving along, and what I have encountered along the way. There are literally thousands of threads here on the Zone that will help you. The Zone is easily one of the coolest groups of guys on the interwebs.

For a bumper, 7" steel channel is about the right size, and much stronger (and heavier) than stock. Simply cut to length, and slot for the rings.

Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; March 15th, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old March 15th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Chief 9-flats

Barrman is a Soldier

I did the 7” channel iron front bumper on my truck. Very stout. HMMWV front shackles mounts can be bolted to the face of the bumper. Or, M35 shackle mounts if you plan to use a tow bar.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.
Old March 18th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Private 1st Class

CHRIS UNGER is a Soldier

As for the bumper I went to the local metal sales company that had a large metal brake. They sold me some steel, bent the top and bottom angles and I cut the slots for D rings and it looks original.