Thread: rpgdeity : Engine Vent lines

Default rpgdeity : Engine Vent lines

Engine Vent lines
    Post by rpgdeity on Apr 16, 2006, 3:50am

So I'm in the process of installing a 2-barrel Holley carb. I don't have the deep water fording kit, and I don't plan on doing much deep water fording. So I was wondering if I could run all the vent lines to a seperate air breather box in the engine compartment, instead of drilling into my new air filter. I was also wondering about the tube that vents the oil pan (not the tube running from the valve cover to the intake), does this have to be ran into the air cleaner, or could it also just go to a box or breather junction of some sort? Basically I'm wondering if I HAVE to drill holes in my new air cleaner to run all my vent lines. Thanks.

Default porkchop :

Re: Engine Vent lines
    Post by porkchop on Apr 16, 2006, 9:10am

You can just get one of those small aircleaners for the crankcase vent. That is what was on the engine when I got the truck.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 16, 2006, 2:20pm

Alright, thank you.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 16, 2006, 2:51pm

If you run all your vents to a point higher than water will get to, you will be fine.

The breather on the side of the block needs to be raised, dont want the vent that low...this is a good choice...the fillter is in it and then you can run a hose out to where ever you need:

http://www.hardin-marine.com/detail~ID~102.aspx

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 16, 2006, 4:27pm

Hey, that looks like the ticket, thanks.

Now I have a question. I'm not sure if I will ever do some serious deep water fording, but I was thinking that it would be kinda nice if I do a creek crossing to be able to pressurize the whole vent system. All my vent lines are there, they just run up to the breather right now. How did the deep water fording kit pressurize the system? Where does the positive pressure come from? I've looked at the manual, but the only picture I see shows a cable you pull to do something, but I'm not sure what it does. I don't know if I'm not seeing another pic that shows more or what.

Anyway, I was just thinking that I might be able to junction all the vent lines and then either put a electric pump that applies a small amount of positive pressure, or come off of wherever the engine makes pressure.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Apr 17, 2006, 2:48am

Brandon, you should try to get up to see Al's M715 some time. He's got all the fording setup, and he even knows how it all works! I think so anyway.

(Ain't it great how we invite other Zoners to other Zoners' homes? No manners, man.....)

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 17, 2006, 4:29am

Yeah, that would be cool to see the fording kit all hooked up in person. Hopefully tomorrow someone can enlighten me some more.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 17, 2006, 9:01am

The crankcase pressure that buils up and is relieved through the PCV and the block vent, big hose on the drivers side coming out of the block, that is the source of the pressure.