Thread: Sharing my new to me '68 M715 and Introduction

Default Sharing my new to me '68 M715 and Introduction

I just wanted to share the '68 M715 I purchased about a month ago from OK that is now home in Wharton County Texas. She is my 2nd Jeep but 1st Military Vehicle.

I purchased it in "non-working" condition and got it started yesterday for the first time after only a few hours of tinkering so I feel pretty lucky. One of the previous owners put in a GM 350 crate motor and when doing so cut into the firewall to make room for the distributor.... Brake master was empty but after just filling it and bleeding the fronts it actually had enough stopping power to feel comfortable enough to do a short test drive down the street and back. Man she was loud as heck since she doesn't have mufflers on her just 2 straight pipes. I don't think the neighbors were too pleased with me....
    I found 1 rust hole on the underside back middle of the cab but other then that it looks pretty clean. Lots of leaking fluids of course.... I haven't looked in the fuel tank to see how bad that is yet. We ran her off a 5 gallon can and a cheap electric fuel pump. Radiator is leaking through a pin hole so going to take that to get dipped and recapped, change all the fluids in the tranny, transfer case, and diffs, finish flushing the brake lines and then I'll take her for a more thorough testing. Hopefully everything else will check out.

At one point she was an Oklahoma Forestry Service Vehicle and has a custom bed but I sure do wish I had that original truck bed. Maybe I will be able to find one later that won't break the bank.

All in all I definitely fell lucky going from "non-working" condition to driving up the street and back with only 3 hours invested.

Not sure how far I'm going to go on her restoration but the more I look at her the more I like her and I will make sure to post the progress as we go along.

-Curt
    Delivery Date 2/68
    MFG Number: 21183

Thanks for checking my post out and I appreciate all the helpful knowledge y'all have posted on this great forum! It's going to be a lot of help for sure.

M715_1.jpg
    M715_2.jpg
    M715_3.jpg
    M715_4.jpg
    M715_5.jpg

Looks like a good place to start...would be nice to have the original bed I agree but you look happy!!

Big question is did they get the written permission to sell it?
    Cool sticker!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Well that is cool as heck. These are really fun trucks. It is nice to see another one brought back to life. Try a wanted ad on the bed. Kinda hard to ship but someone has a truck they are parting out somewhere. And it would be worth the drive I am sure. Post up what you do with it. The site has slowed quite a bit these last few years, but there are several of us that do read frequently. Congrats and have fun with it.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21