Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear brake issues

Default rear brake issues

I had to tear down the rear brakes to install a new master cylinder and discovered that the brake shoes are identical - FE18723. I know the primary is supposed to be shorter than the secondary. Short in front, longer in back. I have read that some M715's have equal length shoes in the rear - but I can't confirm. Looking at the way the shoes were positioned in the drum, the rear one wasn't riding inside the backing plate at all. My question to all and sundry is: what is the truth?

They did come with 2 lengths of shoes, I think later on some people use what's available and throw on what they have. If you look at this Army pub it explains the shoes. You can get the correct shoes from Memphis, that is where I purchased mine.
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...rksacrobat.pdf

I got everything cleaned up and reassembled and it seems to work, but I am going to tear into the passenger side rear to see what might be lurking there. If it is the same as the driver side, I will probably clean it too and reassemble it until I can lay my hands on the shorter shoes. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    They did come with 2 lengths of shoes, I think later on some people use what's available and throw on what they have. If you look at this Army pub it explains the shoes. You can get the correct shoes from Memphis, that is where I purchased mine.
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...rksacrobat.pdf
    Thanks for the tip. I emailed Memphis and found they have the shoes but...
    they sell them in sets, short and long. I asked (begged) Marty if they will split the sets. We will see. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by grymsr View Post
    I got everything cleaned up and reassembled and it seems to work, but I am going to tear into the passenger side rear to see what might be lurking there. If it is the same as the driver side, I will probably clean it too and reassemble it until I can lay my hands on the shorter shoes. Stay tuned.
    Passenger side was the same (sigh)

Great news! Memphis will sell two short shoes. Thank you, Marty Charnes!

Make sure to send in your core, they need them to keep re stocked.

they didn't mention returning the core. I will have two longer shoes when I am finished. I had intended to clean those up for future use. I will contact Marty about the cores.

now for something completely different. The fittings on the right rear brake line are pretty mangled from previous owner, so I need to build a new line. What size tubing should I get? steel or stainless? brass or steel fittings?
    so many questions!

I noticed that the NOS right rear brake line has different flares at either end. also the fittings are different lengths. is this as it should be?