Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing chain replacement?

Default Timing chain replacement?

Howdy,

I've had some one recommend I should replace my timing chain.

I don't have any issues but he said good idea as if it fails will wreck the engine.

Any thoughts?

Is there an alternative timing chain to gov issued one?

Thank you!

It is a very long chain, that might stretch sooner that modern designs.

There is an inspection window on the timing cover to check for chain stretch.

But I can't tell you for sure how to use it.

The NOS Government Surplus parts are top quality stuff.
    Better than any after market repro parts

Here is what the timing chain tensioner looks like inside of the cover.

Hi Dan,
    Thank you for the info.
    Your workshop looks great!
    I think I'll just get one and have it replaced.
    Is it right to think it would wreck the engine if it broke?

I think that it would be unlikely for the timing chain to break, as they are USA made, Morse brand chains.

More likely engine damage could occur from a stretched chain skipping a few teeth from over revving the engine, or the tensioner failing.

Most of our M715s have low mileage on them, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
    That said, if you are planning on keeping your 230 engine for a long time, you might want to pick up a NOS chain off of ebay while they are out there.

You can open that little window on the timing cover to gauge how much it is stretched. The picture that I posted is a NOS stock chain showing through the inspection window.
    I think that the little pointer is the limit indicator, but I cant verify that at this time.

One more thing to consider is that a new gasket kit for the 230 is ridiculously expensive,so check that inspection window before opening up the engine.

Thank you! I bought the chain..probably not going to get any cheaper

PS - Also - plan to keep the 715 for the rest of my life...30 to 40 years with a bit of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NE-M715 View Post
    PS - Also - plan to keep the 715 for the rest of my life...30 to 40 years with a bit of luck!
    Good plan.
    I feel the same way about mine, although 30-40 years might be unrealistic for me, as I have just turned 57

I may live that long, but I won't be driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Good plan.
    I feel the same way about mine, although 30-40 years might be unrealistic for me, as I have just turned 57

I may live that long, but I won't be driving it.
    Heck, I am 68 and drove these things when they were new. I drove new 1969 models off of the boat in Bremerhaven. But I do plan to be driving it into my 90s.. if I make it...