Thread: Rekeying m725 locks

Default Rekeying m725 locks

Hey everyone, I’m new to this Forum and still figuring out how to use it, so please forgive me if this is posted in the incorrect spot.

I picked up my Dad’s old M725 last week that has been sitting in the San Diego area since 2002 and brought it home to Idaho. It needs to be restored and I’m slowly formulating a plan for accomplishing that with all of the information I’m finding here.

It appears that the key(s) for it are gone. It has a keyed ignition, that if I remember correctly was keyed the same as the slide door and the rear doors.

Has anyone been successful in rekeying the locks and/or ignition in one of these? From my limited research, it looks like I’d need to find a donor key from someone and pin the lock to that key.

My other thought was to see if I could get a bunch of members to send me copies of their keys and hope I lucked out with one working.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/attachmen...1&d=1589226862
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice, another M725 that is "local". Looks like a solid rig. There's me here in Post Falls, Kaiserjeeps near Priest River, 66stepside in Spokane and a couple of members in western MT. I'm hoping to have a field exercise next year with all of the "local" members. Is yours stock?

I would pull the ignition and take it too a locksmith to have a key made. And then hope it matches the doors. Usually the ignition is the easiest to remove versus the ones in the doors.

The ignition lock must have been added, as they left the factory, they had no lock, same for the front doors I believe, don't recall on the back doors. Nice looking rig, look forward to seeing more of it.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; May 15th, 2020 at 06:09 PM.

Hey welcome! Nice looking rig there. Cool that it was your dads. I would remove the Ignition and try to find a locksmith that can rekey it. Or just buy a new one with keys. I am not sure what to recommend about the doors.
    You might go to a hardware store and ask if you can buy or borrow some uncut keys to check for the right style that inserts correctly. I am also assuming your dad is not around to ask? What about keys at his home?
    Anyway, welcome!

The keyed ignition was added and is not original, but the locks on the rear door and bulkhead door were original unless someone changed them out to something different. If I remember correctly from others who have tried, you can pay a locksmith to make the keys for the doors, but there really is no point since there is no lock on the front drivers doors. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having the original keys for the rear, it seams like the first thing the military lost.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Very nice, another M725 that is "local". Looks like a solid rig. There's me here in Post Falls, Kaiserjeeps near Priest River, 66stepside in Spokane and a couple of members in western MT. I'm hoping to have a field exercise next year with all of the "local" members. Is yours stock?

I would pull the ignition and take it too a locksmith to have a key made. And then hope it matches the doors. Usually the ignition is the easiest to remove versus the ones in the doors.
    Glen,
    I've restored a M725 and I live in Rexburg Idaho. My vehicle is completely original from motor to lights. I would be interested in the "get-together" you mentioned. Let me know. Doc Naegelin
    2nd/60th/9th inf Div

Quote Originally Posted by rnaegelin View Post
    Glen,
    I've restored a M725 and I live in Rexburg Idaho. My vehicle is completely original from motor to lights. I would be interested in the "get-together" you mentioned. Let me know. Doc Naegelin
    2nd/60th/9th inf Div
    How many people know where Rexburg is?? I do, and have been through there many times on the way from Salt Lake City to Island Park, ID. How about Pocatello?

Small world

Quote Originally Posted by rnaegelin View Post
    Glen,
    2nd/60th/9th inf Div
    Sent you a pm.