Thread: robo : Throwout bearing

Default robo : Throwout bearing

Throwout bearing
    Post by robo on Apr 17, 2006, 8:31pm

I've got my 350 mated to the stock tranny using Bob's conversion kit. It's got a 12" clutch and alum bellhousing. Tons of power, but I'm pretty sure the throwout bearing is spinning (engaging clutch) all the time. If I adjust the linkage for some gap as should be, I don't have enough movement to fully engage the pressure plate/clutch to shift gears. So I'm running zero gap to get enough throwout.

My question is, how long will my throwout bearing last this way? I'm thinking I would need a longer GM throwout bearing to get the correct geometry, right? Or a longer fork?

Default xtreme :

Re: Throwout bearing
    Post by xtreme on Apr 17, 2006, 8:47pm

The exterior part of the fork needs to be shorter by this I mean the part that connects to the cable, piston or rod. This will increase the ratio of the fork.
    I don't know if your using a cable, hydraulic or rod, if its hydraulic try a longer input rod from the peddle to the piston. Basically you need to find away to change the ratio of the clutch mechanism.

The throughout bearing won't last long if its in contact with the pressure plate all the time.

Default robo :

Post by robo on Apr 17, 2006, 8:58pm

I've got a mechanical setup. I guess I can fabricate something to move the external pivot point inwards 1/2" or so. I suppose it'll increase pedal pressure a little given less leverage.

If I had an extra 1" in clutch petal movement, I'd probably be all set as is. But by adjusting my pushrod for a gap, the clutch pedal just doesn't move enough to full engage.

Default xtreme :

Post by xtreme on Apr 17, 2006, 10:04pm

Can you make a rod in the linkage longer? It would increase the peddle height a little but would also provide more action.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Apr 18, 2006, 10:57pm

robo,
    i told you to call me if you didnt understand anything. the clutch rod is adjustable, it unscrews from the clevis to lengthin it. then tighten the jam nut. plain and simple. call me if you still have trouble and i,ll help gladly.
    bob