Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fisherman : Xl spare tire mounting with pictures

Default fisherman :

Re: XL 11x16 Spare Tire Mounting
    Post by fisherman on Aug 12, 2006, 11:22am

This is what I've found, First Tacoma My 69 j-3000 did have the rear crossmember in about if not the exact same location as the M-715. For sure as I still have that piece laying in the scrap metal pile. I'm sure Hummer tires mounted up will fit, not sure if they will fit a stock truck but pretty sure they will as they are not 38". Bob maybe you could try one. I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet. As for the swampers Over2land I'm sure they fit because they can't be a true 38" either. I am going to remove the round tube crossmember. And replace it with 2" by 3" 1/4 " wall rectangle tube steel moved forward until it is against the vertical piece of steel that keeps the channel frame seperated or reinforced. I will fully weld it and maybe gusset it. On the underside of the bed I will remove the spare tire stops, as there is plenty of room for spare to tuck up about 4" further, almost snug against bottom of the bed is what I want. This will allow me to fit a 39" tall tire I do believe. I will use a cable hoist spare tire system from probably a chevy truck. That way it will be easier to position that large tire and wheel as you crank it up there. I am going to do the frame modifications today and the bed modifications later when I reinstall the bed. I will photograph everything and post pictures so others can see my success or mistakes. Hopefully this will work out nicely. Fisherman

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 12, 2006, 4:35pm

OK, I just finished my rear round tube crossmember removal and fabrication of a new one. Thus allowing a 38" 11x16 XL tire to be mounted in the factory location. I believe a 40" tire will now fit, although I do not have one to try so only speculating there. The only thing I will have left to do is when i install the bed is to shorten or remove the two brackets underneath the bed allowing the spare tire to be tucked up tightly to the bed. I will also install a cable or chain spare tire asslembly so as to winch it straight up. I have on factory on my 93 chevy that looks good so I will probably try to get one like that or similiar. I have lots of pictures to post so bear with me while doing that. With the bed removed start to finish about 3 hours with all materials on hand. Pretty easy after I finally figured out what exactly had to be done in order for this to work properly. It took me a few days of looking and thinking to figure out what exactly I wanted to do. I'll try to start loading pictures soon. Fisherman

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 12, 2006, 4:59pm

First shows the clearance of xl to pintle hitch nut.This shows the clearance of xl to tube crossmember I will be removing.This is the left side clearance for the xl.This is the right side clearance.Brace I added to keep everything from possible movement while torching out rivets of round crossmember.Fitting in 2" by 3" 1/4" thickness rectangle stock.Welded in and ready for gussets.Left side gusset installed.Right side gusset installed.Gussets finished.Last three pictures show the new clearance for an Xl spare tire.I will post more pictures after I finish painting the frame and installing new leaf springs. Now everyone can do something similiar if they want their larger tires to fit underneath. Fisherman

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Aug 12, 2006, 5:16pm

Good work man!

Default kwai :

Re: Xl spare tire mounting with pictures
    Post by kwai on Aug 12, 2006, 7:32pm

I think even Bob would be proud of that work.
    Nice job.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 12, 2006, 8:34pm

TODD,
    GOOD CLEAN WORK !!!!!!! YOU INSPIRED ME TO SEE IF HUMMER TIRES WILL FIT !!!!!
    BOB

Default mikel :

Post by mikel on Aug 12, 2006, 8:41pm

Looking awesome!

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 12, 2006, 8:52pm

TODD,
    I WAS THINKIN " LOOK OUT " ANYWAY---- ONCE YOU REMOVED THE RIVETS FROM THE STOCK X-MEMBER COULD YOU JUST SLIDE IT FORWARD ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE TIRE AND REDRILL THE HOLES AND BOLT IT IN ?

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Aug 12, 2006, 9:49pm

Why couldn't you have posted this while I still had the bed off? Great work!

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on Aug 12, 2006, 10:05pm

Nice job man.