Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: vrod02 : Best tire?

Default vrod02 : Best tire?

Best tire?
    Post by vrod02 on Oct 22, 2006, 5:25pm

So whats the best "funtional"tire for the original rims/stock engine? Heard alot about the xl's.They seem extreme for a stock setup IMHO.

Default gimpyrobb :

Re: Best tire?
    Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 22, 2006, 6:47pm

They are available at good prices right now, and are stock tires on some mil veh. In addition they are great tires by a great manufacturer.

Default firefightinsam :

Post by firefightinsam on Oct 22, 2006, 6:53pm

I just put on a brand spankin new set of Xls, on my 2nd M715 the've worked great on my 1st M715. They fit well, look great, and ride nice.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Oct 22, 2006, 7:01pm

Yuh, excellent tires and rather mild in my opinion. Once you're used to seeing them, they make the visual effect of stock tires seem way too small.

Chris

Default shooter68 :

Post by shooter68 on Oct 22, 2006, 10:14pm

I also hear they are better with the stock gearing for gas mileage and highway drivability. Maybe someone that has them will chime in on this. I think I'm probably going to use them on mine.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Oct 22, 2006, 10:42pm

XLs rule. Never driven on the freeway, but they do fine on local 50mph roads. 'Cept hills, of course!

The stance is excellent with XLs, I believe.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Oct 23, 2006, 6:43am

They help on the highway, a couple of guys at the Iowa FE had them and liked them.

I personally like the tread pattern on the XZLs better, but as my swampers have plenty of tread left, that's what I run.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Oct 23, 2006, 8:03am

I'm running the XZL's. Spent too munch on them but really like the ride and look. they fill the opening and to me look better than stock 9.00's.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Oct 23, 2006, 8:07am

I drove a little over 500 miles a year ago to the 2005 Texas FE with NDT's on the truck. The front tires lost a lot of rubber. I got between 12-13 mpg with my 396/NV4500 combo.

This year I drove a little over 500 miles to the 2006 Texas FE with XZL tires on the truck. I also pulled another M715 the entire distance. I got a little better than 9 mpg. But, my tires look exactly the same as before the trip. I was very impressed with the handling of the truck with the really heavy trailer attached. It felt more stable than the '98 D2500 I used to get to the 2006 National FE.

All the above driving was done at 50-55 mph due to NP200 care. Yesterday, I was towing an old Wagoneer and wanted to see if the truck handled as good at a faster speed. I took it up to 70 for the last 6 miles of my highway run on the way home. The only difference was the wind noise and the windshield moving a little bit more. The Michelin tires are awesome!

Default fastfrankie :

Post by fastfrankie on Oct 23, 2006, 9:15am

What scares me with the Michelin XL's is that the only two sets of four I have seen that were in MINT condition with less than a few hundred miles on both sets already had the signs of dry rot and the tiniest of cracking starting. You had to have your face six inches away from the tires to see the minute cracking but it was just starting. Both sets were on trucks that were garaged - and one was a show truck.
    Does anyone know if these tires are still being produced? If not, I wonder when the last XL's came out of the Michelin mold? I am afraid to buy these tires sight unseen because of my experiences. I see that one guy on Ebay in San Diego sells them everyday on there. I wonder if those tires are any good or are they like the ones I had an opportunity to buy?