Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on my M715

Default Update on my M715

Hey guys!!! I haven't had much time to post for a while. I found this site after I bought my truck in 2008. I posted a before picture in another post, but here is a quick history on my baby.

Here is what I started with:

It's a 1968, and appears to be a factory winch truck and a troop carrier. The winch was strange though because it had a full bumper with no cut-out. Not sure it this was modified or the way some of them came. It originally came from auction in Arizona, and I got the original auction papers with it. Somewhere along the way it got a Ford 390 swapped in. It appears that engine was swapped in right after auction. Everything else is pretty stock and in very good condition. When I got it, one brake worked, and the electrical was a disaster. The seats were also very odd. The outter seats look stock, but then there is a small jump seat in the middle, that looks like it goes in the truck. Did they ever come this way? The battery is under the hood.

Fast forward to now. Here is a shot how she sits now.

It took a lot of work to get her road worthy. I really wanted to strip it down and paint the truck correctly, but that will have to wait a while. So we rattle canned the truck with krylon olive drab, doing the the best job we could on prep. I had to get rid of the ugly green it came with! I replaced the fuel filler hose, cleaned out the gas tank, replaced the wheel cylinders with the E350 parts, replaced the tie rod ends, had to fix the spring center pins that were broke, cut off the snow plaw brackets welded to the frame, tuned it up, re-did the wiring, new radiator, new starter, etc. Lots of work to go through the truck to make it right. The other thing I had to do was install a new battery and a starter solonoid. I used the stock in floor foot switch to power the ford starter solonoid.

Since I do drive the truck a lot I had to change the seats! My back couldn't take the original seats. I found some grayish vinyl seats out of a Jeep Rubicon and made them fit, keeping the original center jump seat. I have the stock seats stored away in case I want to put them back in someday. The other change I made was leaving the bumper whole, and having a custom winch fairlead built. I also tossed to rusty cut up cable and used 150 feet of olive drab Viking winch rope. Also after a few weeks of dring the truck I had to put in power steering. I used a J truck steering box, and a bracket from a 390 in a car for the pump. A very easy conversion and it makes a huge difference in driving the truck.

I do drive the truck quite a bit. I goes into the forest a few times a year on some easy dirt trails. I bring it out for events and cruises. I also use the M715 to haul tires and parts around the town I live in during the winter in the snow. I own a Jeep shop, so this makes a great delivery truck! Everyone in town knows the truck!

I'll post up more soon.

Never seen the factory winch with a full bumper before...other than speculation, no clue on that...

Good looking truck though...these rigs look great on those tires!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Okay I didn't post my pictures correctly, let's try again!

More soon!

More pictures!

More soon!
    Last edited by brute4c; January 28th, 2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: fixed link

very nice looking truck.

I really like the "haws fairlead on full bumper" look even though it probably originally had the split bumper. Probably will hold up better as the split bumpers tended to get knocked out of alignment fairly easy.

Good work!
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Loks even better...outstanding really!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I'm guessing maybe the bumper was replaced along the way with a non-split bumper? I know the winch came on the truck, and has the data plate. I like the solid bumper and fairlead. Otherwise I tried to keep it looking stock!

The split bumper that was stock was a one piece bumper with the center section cut out of it, so that can always be done later... but I see no reason to with your fairlead on it. Much better arrangement than stock as you have it.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

That Rhino grill wasnt stock either but still looks good. You have a very nice truck. I was wondering what transmission and transfercase you have since it is a swapped in 390. I have a 351 Cleveland in mine with a T18 Ford trans and a Dodge NP205 T-case. I am thinking about swapping out the 351C and installing a 428 Cobra Jet engine in its place. with the right cam, your 390 can make 502 HP at 5500 RPM and more importantly 543 ft lbs at 2500 RPM.