Thread: 12 v conversion help

Default 12 v conversion help

I've tried a search and not had any luck. Is there a comprehensive write up on converting a M715 from 24v to 12v? Something that lists everything that would have to be changed. Can anyone help me with a link.

There isnt really...

You change all the bulbs, change the horn, gauges and sending units, starter and alternator...well and go to one battery of course.

If you have a truck with the large distribution box under the hood for the turn signals, it wont work on 12 volts...the turn signal lever on the column will say "Sparton" on it. You can either convert to the solid state type or, now, we are learning of a new conversion for the distribution box type from a member, Amphi.
    If you have the solid state unit under the hood it will work on 12 volts.

If the truck came with a hot water heater it would need a 12 volt blower motor.

If it came with one of the arctic heaters, well...I dont know what would convert those...

That all I can think of.

While talking to Amphi on the phone, we deciphered some of my rat's nest wiring. Turns out, the distribution box in my truck was not even being used. A flasher was mounted under the dash and a different yet military looking turn signal was installed. Everything works fine if you can find the wires. Even some of the blackout bulbs light. So really, there is no difficult mystery to figure out. A simple turn signal setup was the most difficult part. I was really baffled by the shear number of wires going nowhere and a million splices. Talking to Amphi convinced me it's not really rocket science. If all your wires are intact, it should be a matter of following the instructions above. If not, then a complete rewire should be simple if you think about it. Even adding a fuse block. I think I can make a custom loom for a lot less than a kit and I'm sure you can figure it out too if you think it through. I know that's not a direct answer, but I hope that helps.

Thank you both

That give s me a start.

"If you have a truck with the large distribution box under the hood for the turn signals, it wont work on 12 volts...the turn signal lever on the column will say "Sparton" on it. You can either convert to the solid state type"

Is this the type that can be converted?

By warhammercustoms

That is the one that WILL work with 12 volts. You can find pics of the old style and te ew style, like yours here:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...signal_convert

Thanks again ... you guys are great!