Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Windshield wiper conversion Version 2.0

Sub, it was late when I posted (for an old guy like me), I gave you some bad info. I believe the stock distance post to post is 22.5. Check this thread out:
    Anyone tried a YJ wiper conversion?
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    I just bought this kit.

Can anyone give me a hole-to-hole measurement? I want to mock it up, do the wiring, make the spacers, and have it ready to drop in...
    The hole to hole measurement won't make any difference if you are using the Wild Horses kit. They are two separate motors, unlike the CJ/YJ wiper setup which has a transmission and one motor on the right side.

The wiring length would be the only thing that would be a variable between the two motors, but that could be temporary until you get it home.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks Randy, I was paying less attention than I thought I was. I had a vision of sub welding up and redrilling a hole based on my post

Wont matter with separate motors
    Thanks, George

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Flingarrows View Post
    Thanks Randy, I was paying less attention than I thought I was. I had a vision of sub welding up and redrilling a hole based on my post

Wont matter with separate motors
    That's quite alright. Good to have that measurement handy for anyone in the future. I don't recall if I measured and recorded it when I did the YJ conversion on Grantshire's truck.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Actually, I'm wiring the kit then sending it to the PO (4000 miles away) to install. Having that measurement kind of close will help a lot!

...and it did help a lot! Thanks! The PO said that they were a complete drop-in.

Wild Horses shipped the kit reasonably fast- about a week to AK. They charged me $45 for FedEx. I think the motors could have fit in a Priority Flat Rate box for $15, but they didn't think so. Whatever.

The extra nuts I added to my order on the phone for $15 must fit a Bronco, because they're completely the wrong diameter and thread pitch for the wipers I got. An email on the subject was ignored. With shipping and going to the PO, it's not really worth my time to press it over $6 nuts, but now you know.

The 1.5" spacers from Lowes worked perfectly. I had to run a drill through the big ones to get them over the brass threads. A little sandpaper work would probably do the trick too, just smoothing out some roughness inside.

I noticed two things while Googling these motors:
    -boat folks like them too, but pay a lot more. Wild Horses was the cheapest I could find.
    -they come in different offsets (length of threaded shaft). Shorter ones might not require the spacers. I'll know more about that when I see the truck.

Thanks for the info about wild horses. It may save someone an unwanted headache. Good info on the wipers too
    Thanks, George

I've been running one of those cheap chinese things. (broke one of them installing it..) Ready to upgrade. This thread inspired me but I'm cheap.

I ordered 2 of these wiper motors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Windshie...FWL2bc&vxp=mtr

Now to hunt around for a switch...

Default Missing the pics

I think this is one of the threads on here that would be so great to be able to see Randy's build pictures from the first page or two of this thread. I am so wanting to give that set up a try on my M725, but I'd love to see the pics first. It looks like they have been removed. Am I the only one that can't see the pics??

Cheers,
    Bryce

Tomorrow I'll try to get a few pics of my setup like his.