Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bigbabyroger : 360 jeep engine

Default fisherman :

Re: 360 jeep engine
    Post by fisherman on Nov 7, 2006, 4:56pm

Use the sm420 for your 225 as it is a direct bolt up to that engine, you will need an adapter however to mate the transmission to your dana 18 transfer case, I bought the Novak as it allowed more driveshaft clearance and they are great to deal with. I would also keep the t-98 in my M truck add the 360 and the t-18 input shaft with carrier bearing and new inside roller bearings to mate the two. Look for a 205, or 202 divorced transfer case to install instead of your 200 if you don't want to keep that. I'm doing or have done similiar stuff to my M truck and current Jeeps. You can use your dana 20 case for a stronger dana 18 and add the good stuff to the inside like tera low gears, Saturn or Warn overdrive, PTO, I'd do that and adapt it to the sm420 for your little jeep. I don't think I'd run a dana 20 in an M-truck. Might hold up, might not. Good Luck

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Nov 7, 2006, 5:16pm

Fisherman, you said what I have been thinking for several years now, but the negatives to using the sm420 in front of the 18/20 are: the cost of the kit, and the length is about 2.6 inches longer than what a T-18 would be (even an SM456 would be a little shorter).

Do you have a severe rear drive shaft angle? What leaf springs do you have? Are the axles the stock 10 spline units? Wanna sell me your adaptor?

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Nov 8, 2006, 2:15pm

No severe driveline angles, this has been used in short wheel base cj-5's this is going in a cj-6, actually I don't think it's any longer than the stock setup. Sm420 are very short. Pony up and buy the Novak kit if your serious about it. Nice adapter. Going with custom made leafs from a YJ, and old article in JP about wrapless leaf packs, going spring over. I'm gonna use full width M-715 axles or one ton axles in the cj-6. Have all the pieces ready to go, just working to finish my M-715 before I finish the cj-6 project.

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Nov 9, 2006, 5:37pm

Keep me posted about the cj6 build, it sounds like it is going to be stout with those axles. What is the rest of the drivetrain?. I've been eyeballing a cj6 for years that has an original pto winch, and t-98 four speed.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Nov 9, 2006, 7:03pm

Buy it cj's with t-98's are rare, does it have the 4 cylinder hurricane or the 225 dauntless v-6? Mine will have built and balanced 225 odd fire, or dauntless v-6. SM420 trans, Dana 18 with dana 20 case, tera low gears, overdrive and PTO koenig winch. I hope to use M-715 axles, Hydraulic steering, spring over and 38 inch Michelin xzl's. I will paint it the same as my truck, USMC green and have a full canvas military top made. I have the drive train finished, except need axles, and wheels yet. I will not put it together until my M-715 gets finished, and that is taking a long time, because I don't have much time. Those are my two projects, I also have a 1965 Tuxedo Park Mark IV, about 95% complete, everything works with a relatively rust free tub. Gonna restore it someday when my other two projects come to completion.