Thread: texan : SBC/SM465 swap

Default texan : SBC/SM465 swap

SBC/SM465 swap
    Post by texan on Nov 15, 2006, 1:52am

Looks like I'm going with the SBC/SM465 installation on my truck. I don't have any of the parts yet, so I would like some input on what parts are best in this swap. I know that this info was on the old board, but I'd like to get a fresh review before I start.

1) SBC--I'll probably go with a 4-bolt 350 that I can get in trade.

2) SM465-- Should I use a 2WD unit or 4WD? I seem to remember that a 2WD unit is preferable for the divorced t-case set up. I want to use this tranny for its economy and simplicity, as well as the availability of parts.

3)Transfer Case--From what I have read, the NP205 sounds like the best bet here. Should I go with a married set-up? Divorced? What parts will I need?

Please comment! I'd like to get a parts list together so that I can gather the pieces and get it together this winter.

Thanks,

Don

Default tacomainoh :

Re: SBC/SM465 swap
    Post by tacomainoh on Nov 15, 2006, 2:22am

Can't go wrong with the SBC. Now on to the tranny.

Either way, you're golden. Personally, I have found married setups MUCH easier to get my hands on, often really cheap. For that reason, my choice would have been a married setup, probably just grab the whole drivetrain out of a 70's GM truck.

The 205 is good for it's superior strength and utter lack of drama. It is difficult to break the 465/205 combo.

so start looking for a 70's truck, buy it cheap, rebuild the motor, and reseal the other stuff. Check the shifter for slop, and check the 3rd gear synchro's on the 465, they go bad after so many miles and need to be replaced, or you'll pop out of 3rd all the time.