Thread: rip68 : Bob Cowan weld fix for drill holes

Default rip68 : Bob Cowan weld fix for drill holes

Bob Cowan weld fix for drill holes
    Post by rip68 on Nov 14, 2006, 10:00pm

Bob, I was wondering if you could write up that drill hole fix or technique for filling up small holes using copper plating backing and a welder. How thick should the copper plating be? This time I will save the info. Thanks in advance!

Default fisherman :

Re: Bob Cowan weld fix for drill holes
    Post by fisherman on Nov 14, 2006, 11:44pm

Maybe I can help as I have welded up well a ton of holes. Grind off paint to bare metal. You can use copper plate of any size to fit behind the hole. I usually hold it in place with a clamp if you can. Also I have held it with thick welding gloves. I start at the outside of the hole and go in a circular pattern towards the inside and typically fill it in that way. The back side of the weld will be smooth against the copper. You can grind the top down to flush or slightly below and fill with body filler. Do you do anything different Bob? I have welded many holes successfully this way. My truck bed alone had over 50 non stock holes. Filled all of them in this manner. Good Luck

Default hewl35 :

Post by hewl35 on Nov 15, 2006, 12:31am

I found a tool at one of the local tool or weld shops in KC. It has a small copper backing plate about the size of a gold dollar mounted on a plastic handle. The whole thing was five to ten dollars. You'll probably find it with the body repair section of the tool store. I think K-D or Lisle made it.

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Nov 15, 2006, 1:25pm

Thanks Fisherman & Hewl35, If I wanted to join cracked metal together ( not thick like the bed ) like the hood for instance. I would clean off rust with a wire brush then use what type of welder/welding?

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Nov 15, 2006, 2:06pm

A wire brush won't clean the paint off or the rust. In all cases welding you should try to start with shiny metal, get it that clean. Rust or paint do not weld well, makes the welds weak and looks like crap. If your going to weld on sheet metal like your hood use a mig or wire feed. I use wire size .023 or .025, smaller is good to. Turn the heat down and test weld on something. Welding sheet metal takes patience if you do not want to warp it. Spot weld here, spot weld there kinda of thing. I do not weld thin sheet metal with a weld longer than 1/2 to 1" to avoid heating the metal up to much and warping it. If you have never done this practice on some thin sheet metal first. I did all my own sheet metal and welding, I taught myself because I couldn't get my welding brother of 20 years to give me a hand. It is most satisfying. Good Luck

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Nov 15, 2006, 2:14pm

A wire brush that is used in a drill will take off paint and very light rust...some brushes do better...like these:

http://www.wolfcraft.com/display_pro...cat=3&group=16

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Nov 15, 2006, 3:10pm

ALUMINUM WORKS ALMOST AS GOOD A COPPER TOO. AND TODD YOU GOT IT NAILED FOR WELDING HOLES LIKEI DO IT TOO. AS FAR AS CRACKS (ALWAYS ) DRILL A TINEY HOLE AT THE START AND END OF A CRACK OR IT WILL COME BACK ON YOU EVEN IF ITS WELDED GREAT.... I DONT KNOW WHY BUT IT DOES. AN OLD MAN TAUGHT ME THAT ON MODEL A FORD FENDERS WHEN I WAS A KID. AND WHEN WELDING ON BODY PANELS LIKE CRACK REPAIRS DO A SERIES OF SPOT WELDS RATHER THAN TRYING TO RUN A BEAD, THIS KEEP WARPING DOWN 95%. AND IF YOU KEEP A COLD WET RAG READY IF YOU DO GET WARPING PUT THE WET RAG TO IT AND IT WILL SHRINK THE METAL BACK. SKIP AROUND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TOO...

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Nov 15, 2006, 3:37pm

Thanks Bob, I forgot about drilling out the ends of the cracks, yes I do too. Have repaired a couple racing quad frames that were cracked. Drilled out at the ends of the cracks, and scarfed down into the crack a little to bevel the edges and then weld. Works great. I used the wet rag method to help straighten out one rear fender well on the bed of my truck it was badly damaged and dented. I used a rosebud on my torche and heated, pounded, heated pounded, with a dolly or small sledge hammer, when it got close I used cold water on a rag to shrink the metal down. Got it almost perfect a slight skim with body filler and smooth as can be.

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Nov 16, 2006, 12:56pm

Thanks guys, alot of good info here. I'll be saving this one.

Default tomahawk715 :

Post by tomahawk715 on Nov 19, 2006, 8:20pm

Might also point out that you should always treat/paint the "hidden" side of your welds. If you dont you will have issues later. More so for panel repair but holds true for spots also-rust is rust.