Thread: Brake part question

Default Brake part question

Taking apart the rear brakes and ran into some damage on a part--and because I only know enough about brakes hurt myself I thought I'd better ask just to be sure.

Part # 6 on the diagram: "Anchor Pin washer"

Left rear had rotated so the brake shoe metal was mashing it--and it had actually been able to rotate out of place so the tab was above the shoe--though it looks on the part like it's been rubbing on the drum,I don't see a corresponding mark on the drum so possibly the full rotation happened while I was fiddling.

I can just flip it (after a deburr) so the good bits are at the top instead of the bad---and I assume this part doesn't do a heck of a lot except help with the brake spring placement and and keeping any rubbing of the springs off the shoes a bit. However, I thought I'd better ask if it has some other important purpose for which that damage might be a bad thing.

If it is wise to replace it--source?

Any feedback?

Thanks

Left damaged one top, right one bottom

Last edited by Kozmo; June 13th, 2020 at 08:06 PM.

Memphis equipment has the parts, If it was me, I would replace it (Just my opinion). As someone who has had a complete brake failure on an M725, I make sure everything is 100%.

Wayne
    Last edited by graflex; June 13th, 2020 at 10:00 PM.

It is just a guide plate for the brake shoes. You are only missing a corner and you still have the full length of that end of the plate. If you can weld the corner up and file it to shape, great. De-burr it at least and you could still use it. The fact that it is not any shorter than it was when it was new means it won't cause a failure of any kind as long as it is installed correctly. But since it is a brake part and all of us want the best condition brakes we could possibly have, I'd weld the corner up or replace it.

If you have trouble either finding a replacement or getting it welded up, send it to me and I will restore it for you and send it back same day. I would never charge to a do 4 second weld followed by a 3 minute clean up to shape. PM me if you want to do that.

EDIT: I just looked to see where you are... We are almost close enough to drive. My Aunt just moved out of Harvard ID. The mail would not take long at all...
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; June 13th, 2020 at 11:09 PM.

Default Thanks for the responses

It's easy for me to either do a weld build-up or make another from scratch as I have a full machine shop. My worry was that this little nothing part provided some magical benefit beyond the obvious so needed perfection.

Wish I had seen it before I ordered the replacement brake shoes etc from Memphis--oh well, at least I'll know better what to look for when I do the fronts.

Thanks again