Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My own personal tire problem....

Default My own personal tire problem....

So I'm looking into tires like many have before, only I have a slight twist in the problem.

My truck currently has a set of Jackman wheels with 25 yr old Armstrong tires. My uncle was kind enough to include some extra tires so I have spares, but I'm not sure I trust rubber that old on the streets around here with the 100+ temperatures we have this time of year. The problem I am faced with is that the rims are 17.5" x 10.5" which was likely the only rim size available that fit the original axles other than stock.

Denman apparently makes a tire that fits, but I'm having trouble locating a source and pricing for them in this size. The product info for their Ground Hawg series tires says they'll fit.

I've also talked to Marsh Racing about modifying the wheels and they have indicated they could take the centers out of the originals and insert them into a more standard size shell. It looked like it would run me around $125 a rim to have it done.

Currently, I'm leaning towards just getting the Denman tires since I would likely not need to buy another set for a very long time. On the otherhand, getting the original centers inserted into a more nominal size is also a very attractive proposition since I would then have a much larger selection of tires to choose from.

decisions...decisions....

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Marsh can build you a set of wheels cheaper than modifying your current ones.

Then you can choose from a wide variety of tires and sizes.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

They can and they can't. I really like the look of Jackman's not to mention the rareness of even having a full set of them to work with. I looked through everything Marsh had available and didn't find anything similar. My initial inquirey to them was to see if they could duplicate them but apparently they aren't quite that flexible. It was their suggestion to remove the Jackman centers and insert them into one of their shells.

I would keep 'em like they are. I think they're cool, and if you can find some tires that look good, why change?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    I would keep 'em like they are. I think they're cool, and if you can find some tires that look good, why change?
    17.5" tires are almost non-existent these days...that would be the biggest issue.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Are you sure there 17.5 and not 16.5. Thats what they look like to me. The 16.5 rim looks like they took a 16" rim and rolled out the edge to make it the .5" larger. The bad thing with 16.5 rims is there is no lock bead th help hold the tire on.

just my 2 cents

Unfortunately, the current size is not in question. The rims were bought and installed as is with no modifications.

I have found that while the size is odd ball, it is still used for Agricultural and Construction equipment applications. The Denman Tires are DOT approved and reasonably priced, I just don't particularly care for the tread design on them.

I have found a Firestone Tire that is the correct size as well, but I have to verify if it is DOT approved. I hope so, because it looks much better than the Denman to me.

Hotlinked image:

Love the wheels. Can you post pics of the whole truck?

I found some 17.5 dually split rims in a junk yard with the 6 on 7.25 bolt pattern, so I know they used to be available. Too bad they aren't 16, 17, or 18. Those Firestones don't look bad at all though.