Thread: Warn M8274 anyone using one?

Default Warn M8274 anyone using one?

I just picked up a used Warn M8274 off of the local craigslist for 400 bucks with a roller and a new controler. I was wondering if anyone has used one of on their rigs and if so what their bumper/mount looks like.

Yes I know its only a 8000 lb winch but man its a rugged monster with 150 feet of cable and blazing line speed. I'll be picking up a snatch block for pulls requring more umpf.

Im trying to mount it somewhat low let me radiator breathe but don't want to drag.

-Scott

I had one on my old M715. Its curently on my Commando. They are a very good winch. I've pulled more than I should have with it.The mounting playe is very simlpe to make. Its just a peice of 3/8 thick steel plate bent at 90*. You can get one for a CJ and make it work very easy. It will mount between your frame rails and be low enuff to clear the rad,but high enuff to not hurt ground clearance.

Im thinking of a design some what like this:
    http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/dav...inchmount.html

So I can take it off mount it on on my trailer to pull on junk or mount it to the back of my tow rig if needed. I like the tow though design, you could also put a reciever shackle there.

I had one on my FJ-40. It worked really well, and like others have said, it'll pull more than you think it should. I had a bumper mount on mine that set it down between the frame rails, so I got pleanty of air to the radiator.

The only problem with a portable mount for this winch, is the weight, the winch is 150lbs with a full spool of cable.

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4jeepfreak View Post
    The only problem with a portable mount for this winch, is the weight, the winch is 150lbs with a full spool of cable.
    And the fact that you'll never have it installed when you need it. I hard mounted my winch with a discontinued Ramsey hidden winch kit. I don't have to worry about it unless I need it.

i had one on my 715,there nice, i took it off to install a Ramsey look-alike i found in the junk yard on a J3000,its a DC9,at a glance it looks like the warn ,can't find any ifo anywhere about it though.