Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 230 oil pressure

Default 230 oil pressure

drove to work today in my "new" 715,By the time I got to the yard about 14 miles , I noticed the oil pressure gauge was at 0, I was hopeing it just was a bad sender or gauge ,buttttt I dont think so. I picked up a mech. gauge at the parts store after work , and installed it when i got home, It seems to be slow reading and hangs around 20 to 40, at an Idel it lookslike it drops of the scale

That does not sound good....

Does it rattle, like a diesel, on initial startup after sitting overnight? If so, for how long? A second or 2 or longer?

No rattles, I did rebuild the oil pump,I learned that ther is a clearance between the end plate , If you use to thick of a gasket it will drop the oil pressure due to clearance between the gears and plate , That the first thing since the pump is external ,next of course is pull the pan and check all the tourques on the main and rods,at least I have a long weekend to check it out .

I would love to hear it was something on the simple end...

Drained the oil and droped the pan today.no metal in the oil. checked all the main and rod bolts everthing up to specs. I called a friend who rebuilds engine and chatted with him . I told him how I rebuilt the oil pump and had to make a new gasket for the end plate , He told me that there is a clearance between the plate and pump gear, If you use to thick of a gasket it wil leve a gap and oil will by -pass. I had an extra oil pump ,so i pulled the cover,it ripped so i had to use rtv to try to seal it. I put the new/riped gasket cover on the pump and fired the motor up. The pressure jumped up to 60 psi then held steadyat 50psi, I checked underneath only to find the pump leaking I tried to stop the leak but it only got worse. I had to go to town for an appoiment ,so i stoped by the auto parts store and picked up some THIN gasket paper,I'm going to get a fresh start in the morning and fix the leak, I think Iam on the right track, I know tomorrow.

On similar type oil pump assemblies the end plates can sometimes be milled to increase the pressure too. Be sure to include the gasket thickness in the equation to determine the desired machining requirements.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

could you just increase the spring pressure on the relief valve ?

Took it out for a test run, The oil pressure stayed around 40 but drops fast when it goes to idle around 10psi , I am going to change out the oil pump. I have 2 more . I have no idea if any of them work , none of the engines I have were running . also seems to start missing when it gets warm , I doubt if Ill have it ready for Mondays Prade, at least i have a back up.

well I changed out the oil pump with one i had assembled on the bench. the first thing I noticed was the idel was high,turn that down a tad,oil pressure up around 40-60. running good. When I went to check the old pump I found I could not turn the shaft, I guess when I put the end plate on with the new gasket i made I didn't cut it right .It must have been binding between the endplate and impeller. I still have an issue with the motor, It seems to run good , then some times it seems to be running with a miss,I haven't quite got it figured out yet , but I will.

Good news on the oil pump.

I would suspect dirt in the carb as the cause of your "runs great, umm ohh wait a minute, it just started to sputter, hey, it runs good again" troubles.

I am chasing the exact same gremlins on my Gasser M35 right now.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw