Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rockwell help...

Default rockwell help...

i want to get these, they are 5 ton rockwells, will they work?

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630365

were is spicergear when we need him
    my signature is sweet huh?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The 5 ton axles will work with fabrication, but if I remember correctly, they are wider than the 2.5 ton units. Something like 6 inches or so.

If you plan on driving them on the road, don't plan on driving fast. 6.87 ratio I believe is the highest they offer. OD will be necessary for any speed.

They are very heavy too, so factor that in if you plan on wheeling them any at all.

Be sure this guy has a steering axle. Many folks have the pair of rear axles, and with that price, I'd say he doesn't have a steering axle, as they normally sell for $1000 or more, by themselves. I may be wrong there though.

Also be sure to break out your checkbook, as parts are even higher than the stock 715 axles. Oh, and wheel and brake options are just as limited too.

he posted some pics on that link, im conserned about the rear axle....are they too heavy to wheel with? im probly going to run 42's till i get some 44's

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by foodstamp View Post
    he posted some pics on that link, im conserned about the rear axle....are they too heavy to wheel with? im probly going to run 42's till i get some 44's
    I wouldn't say too heavy, just that I'd hate to have to winch out all that extra weight if it were buried in something sticky or wedged between a rock.

Plus you will need a very large friend if you have a flat on the trail. The wheel and tire assemblies weigh around 300 lbs a piece.

5 tons seem to big. Not much room with the 2.5 tons. The man that I have been getting my axles from sells 5 ton fronts for $250 and the rears for $100.
    His prices have been the same for a few years. He is cutting up 9 more 5 ton trucks in the next few weeks, so he should have a few of those to sell. If you go on pirate and look in the classifieds under hauling, a guy by the name of Odie (megatoy66) lives near this place (Brad Milne). Odie hauls up and down the west coast for a reasonable rate. Odie posted that he is leaving this thurs to the bay area with a car trailer from Tacoma Washington. If you could send him payment in advance he might be able to help you. I would recomend against the 5tons, but that is your choice. I will send you some pictures of my truck with the 2.5 tons. Not much room.

5 tons are too big. Seriously, I've now been up close and seen the relative size of 5-ton axles versus the 2-1/2 tons. Its just unecesarry weight, and since your not hauling 5 tons of freight, you don't need it. I've heard of monster truck guys going FROM 5-tons TOO 2 1/2 tons because they can build a 2 1/2 ton stronger than a 5-ton for cheaper and they lose a bunch of useless weight. 5-tons would be stupid because you'd have so much weight in the axles alone, and this tiny little Jeep up on top. You have to think about other stuff than just "how big the axle is". How are you going to winch out if you get stuck? I can't pull my stock 715 out of mud with a single line on the 8274, I have to snatch block right away. How is your overall ratio going to be now? The 5-tons have crazy high 6's ratio, so you'd have to go with like a 52" tire just to go down the road easily. Okay, so now is your engine going to be enough to carry you down the road? I mean, we all want brute strength, but if your not prepared for the whole thing, it just snowballs outta control, and now you have this big huge heavy thing you cant drive or stop, lol. Oh yeah, plus parts are relatively hard to find and rediculously expensive. You can get a lot of aftermarket stuff for the 2 1/2 tons. Oh yeah, plus you need a small crane just to move the 5-tons around, they are huge suckers. Anyway, thats just my opinion.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

i was just thinking since they were cheap that i could use them and get away with it, but ya all well, i wont bother using 5 tons, sounds way too big

Plus those look like bridge truck axles. That front has the spacer on it to make them even WIDER.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

If Spicer would ever step E-foot in here again, he'd tell you that 5t axles are waaaaaaay too big.

Overly excessive for anything you'd concievably do with your truck. There are some clearance issues with the chunk as it is. Spicer "self clearanced" his oil pan pretty good with his.
    **I heart Bump_r **

ive been trying to talk to spicer but he wont return my messages. im definitly not running 5 tons.