Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4.0 engine swap

Default 4.0 engine swap

Has anyone done a 4.0 fuel injected swap?

i havent done one but thought about it once had a 4.0 from a 99 ford explorer sport . i think this would be ok if you dont plan on hauling or towing heavy loads

Seems to me you'd be asking a lot of the little motor. It may make a fair amount of HP but it's not making a lot of torque, and it's doing it with very light components. I'm not sure I'd even want to do it with a 4.3, and that's a lot more motor from a design standpoint.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I've owned a couple 4.0L Jeep engines and a couple 4.0L Ford V6's.

I wouldn't personally go through all the work to install either of them into an M715. Both are decent engines, but with an M715 at 5000 + lbs, either one is going to be working pretty hard to haul that much truck around, and for the money and time it would take to do the swap, there are a lot of other bigger, better powerplants available that would provide much more return in power, torque, and driveability.

Plus, your transmission options for the 4.0L Jeep are pretty limited to light-duty AX automatics, or manual transmissions designed for a 2500 lb vehicle. Ford's options are the A4LD automatic which is pretty flimsy, or the manual transmission which I think was a light-duty Aisin-Warner with a pretty high low-gear. 2WD versions are a bit tricky to come by in either vehicle for putting in front of an NP200, and the stock Ford or Jeep transfer cases wouldn't stand a chance in an M715.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I was going to add, and forgot, that the 4.3 would also have vastly more and better tranny options and even then I'm not sure I'd want to do it.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

I have to agree with WHY? I don't see you gaining a lot. I am running a 292 chevy I-6 right now, ..that is essentially 5.0l, and it is under-powered. The 292 produces significantly more torque than the 4.0 would. If you are only looking to cruise around town, the 4.0 might be fine, but for my purposes, a truck is a truck, . .in other words, I use it to haul loads, pull a trailer, etc. FWIW

I pulled my M715 home 666 miles on a flat bed with my TJ with a 4.0 no problem (with 33 inch tires, 4.56 gears and a 4.5 inch lift). trailer is around 2000 pounds plus the 5500 for the truck plus the 3500 for the TJ = 11,000 pounds. If you look at the torque and HP specs, it kills most V8 engines. The TJ puts out 193 HP and 240 FT pounds or more stock. Put a cam in it and it will get much better. Make it a 4.5-4.9 stroker using 258 jeep engine parts and you can make it 328 HP and 375 ft pounds of torque. Check out what RPM that torque is made at Vs the torque from any V8. I would say that the 4.0 should handle the trucks weight just fine. I am regretting not using the 4.0 in mine. I used a 351 Cleveland and hopped it up a lot. only problem is it makes all the power and torque up high. 507 hp @5500 and 497 FT pounds @4500

Read this article.
    http://www.ajeepthing.com/stroker-motor.html

I had the largest trailer Uhaul rented and had it filled with all my things. I had a friend pick the trailer up with a full size bronco because Uhaul said the TJ only can tow 1200 pounds. I towed it from Idaho to Michigan in two and a half days driving over all of the mountain passes. That trailer was loaded down a lot more than when I towed the truck. I normally would drive at 60 MPH on the freeway and had it in fourth gear at 3000 RPMs. The TJ took off like a semi truck hauling a huge load. The driver side of the vehicle twisted up with all the torque about three inches. By the time I got to michigan, I had broken the bottom ring of the passenger side rear coil spring right off.

I built my own front and rear bumper and connected the bumper/tow hitch directly to the frame with massive 1/2 inch plates. I know someone will chime in on how unsafe this was, but I never followed too close and I am always very carefull. I am 36 and never have been in an accident. You do what you have to do with the money you have at the time. I couldn't afford a Uhaul truck to tow my TJ with or I would have.

I kicked this idea around a while, but I could never get a transmission that mated to the 4.0 that I was satisfied would provide good service in the 715. By the time I figured in an adapter to a conventional medium duty 4 or 5 spd, I was already into more money than a GM small block V8. But, the idea of a Jeep in-line 6 sitting back inside the truck is appealing...

Quote Originally Posted by jay r View Post
    I kicked this idea around a while, but I could never get a transmission that mated to the 4.0 that I was satisfied would provide good service in the 715. By the time I figured in an adapter to a conventional medium duty 4 or 5 spd, I was already into more money than a GM small block V8. But, the idea of a Jeep in-line 6 sitting back inside the truck is appealing...
    Me too. I had one sitting in a 97 Cherokee I was no longer using so I thought of using that "just for now" to get back on the road, but then decided it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to install it. I'm planning on going diesel and want to do it right the first time.

EDIT: I love the idea of keeping/putting in a newer Jeep I-6 ... the 4.0 does seem from the numbers like it could be comparable/sufficient/improved over the tornado as long as a strong tranny and tcase can be mated.

All you have to do is get a T150 or T176 bell housing from a jeep and drop in a Ford T18 transmission. all you need is the ford clutch disk. Its a bolt in swap, but you do need to make a hole for the crank sensor, or buy a kit to mount the crank sensor on the front of the harmonic balancer. Ford T18s are cheap. I bought mine for 125.00. The trans has a 6.32 first gear. The T18 is called a Rock Crusher trans for a reason. they are one of the best bullet proof 4 speeds along with the SM420 and the SM465.

For a auto trans the Jeep AW4 is pretty bullet proof. with tall gears, it wont transfer stress as bad so the trans doesnt need to be for 1 tons. It will bolt right up to the 4.0 and has a .75 OD gear.