Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally finished Fresh Air Heater installation

Default Finally finished Fresh Air Heater installation

While changing out the engine coolant on it's two year maintenance schedule,
    I finally have the cab heater working after hooking up the coolant hoses and wiring up the blower motor.

After a 45 minute drive in 31 degree weather, I'm quite impressed with it's performance. My feet and legs were getting really toasty.
    I ended up getting too hot, so I rolled down the window some, instead of adjusting the Temp control.

A few reference photos for those who don't have the heater option in their trucks.

Last edited by jeepdan; November 2nd, 2019 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks for the inspiration and pictures. I still have an NOS heater in the box in my truck. I need to get cracking on it. Good time to change the antifreeze too.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration and pictures. I still have an NOS heater in the box in my truck. I need to get cracking on it. Good time to change the antifreeze too.
    Wow
    NOS heater still in box.
    Whenever you get around to opening up the contents of that box, please post a good picture (with measurements) of the blower decal.

Dan, it is an almost complete kit but not in the original box. Missing was the switch. But I have one because my Dad worked in aviation (Glenn L. Martin Co. Middle River, MD) and he had a box of various non-junk (read, USA, not that country in the East) switches. I don't think there is a decal in the stuff. But it has original hoses which I will of course replace with modern construction.

My truck in Germany had a heater and it worked great even though the cab was uninsulated as you know.

The switch I used for mine is an aviation breaker switch. Lots of AN hardware too.
    Thanks for all the help!

The heaters work very well! ����, when the floors warm up from the engine heat, that’s usually when the window goes down ��....

Lee��

WOW! what a super clean install. inspiring to me as I work on my heap.

beauty completion, very fine work, impressive restoration quality.
    VIN : 13003 DATE : 6-67

That unit looks quite a bit different from the J-truck unit I have in mine. Is that core housing as close to the exhaust manifold as it looks like it is in the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    That unit looks quite a bit different from the J-truck unit I have in mine. Is that core housing as close to the exhaust manifold as it looks like it is in the pic?
    The ear of the manifold flange is about 2" from the housing.
    I'm using a late 60's J truck heater. I removed the defroster and fresh air vacuum motors, and modified it to accept the control cables.

The latter FSJs 1970's-1991. used a fiber glass housing similar size and shape.

Last edited by jeepdan; November 8th, 2019 at 09:21 AM.