Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radio Equipment

Default Radio Equipment

Sometime back someone was looking for info on radio equipment for an M715. Here is some info I found. Hope it helps.

Radio: RT-524 or RT-246
    also PRC-77 or PRC-25 with the AM-2060 amplifier will work with the antenna below.

Antenna Base: MX-6707

Antenna Whip: Lower AS-1730 and Upper AT-1095
    1969 M715 WO/W

I don't know if anyone else was interested, but I was looking for this info. I appreciate it, thank you.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Good info, the radio guy I've been dealing with says the RT-524 is the most common. I just started procuring all the radio equiptment 8 months ago. So far all I need is the radio itself and the triangular mount for the forward antenna AB-15. The rear antenna I have has three sections MS-116, 117, 118, and will not fit the MX-6707. (so if anyone has the right mast base to fit it PM me)

Can one of you knowledgable gent's tell me if the two antenna set up shown in the manuals section or the one mast set up I've seen in some photos is correct, PLEASE.

The antenna sections you have fit the AB-15 base. If you have two radios you need two antennas. If you have one radio only one antenna. The two antennas is common if you have the RT-524 and the auxiliary receiver (I forget the number) which has it's own mount. Or in some cases a vehicle used as a command and control truck might have two Rt-524 or an 524 and a PRC-77 type set-up. This allowed you to talk to two different types of units. The reasoning is or was that Infantry was on one set of frequencies, PRC-25/77 36-65 Mhz., the Armor was on a different band 28-36 mhz (or there abouts I've forgotten this stuff over the years) and Artty was on a lower band (26-28) or there abouts and therefor if you had to listen to say Artty and talk to the grunts you had the transceiver to talk to the grunts and the extra receiver to listen to the cannon cockers.

Try Fair Radio Sales in Lima Ohio they should have the antenna parts you need. Good luck finding a working Rt-524 the last demil requirement stated that a 1" hole had to be burned through the radio from the top of the case to the bottom of the case rendering the radio inoperable.
    Zone holster maker

Where is a good place to get demilled/gutted/non-working military radios?

I've been looking on Ebay and a few other places, but they all seem to sell operational radios (or maybe it just appears that way?), and they are asking several hundred dollars for them. What would a for sure non-operational radio go for?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

So what about the mount? I know everybody tries to get the sugar scoop mount (like I did) but mounted on the side of the bed you cannot get the 6707 base in the mount without hitting the side of the antenna base on the bed rail. Is the sugar scoop mount really correct? I am also wondering where it was supposed to be mounted. On the single wall bed side or on the stake pocket where the amber reflector is located?
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I was able to get into the manuals this time. I got my questions answered.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

There should be a bracket that mounts to the bed that then mounts the scoop to it thus keeping the ant away from the bed.
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Try Fair Radio Sales in Lima Ohio they should have the antenna parts you need. Good luck finding a working Rt-524 the last demil requirement stated that a 1" hole had to be burned through the radio from the top of the case to the bottom of the case rendering the radio inoperable.

Thanks for the info, I think I'd be happy with a nonfunctional radio for the money. I don't know about the giant burn hole though. Also the guy I've been dealing with is in Reno, Nevada and sells working and nonworking radios & equiptment. (kind of pricey for the functional stuff) here is his info:

Doug Stutzman
    3435 Deer Foot Lane
    Reno, NV 89506

He seems to know his stuff.

I had acquired about a week ago on the subject, Thanks everyone on the information!!