Thread: going to 24v to 12v for lights and wiring harness

Post going to 24v to 12v for lights and wiring harness

is there a wiring harness u can buy that would fix the a 68 715 and we are try to go down from a 24v system to a 12v system for the head light and brake lights

No need to change out the harness, just replace with 12v bulbs. Is the starter and alternator already 12v?

everything is on a 24v system we just want the lights to be 12v and everything to stay the same i was just wondering if u could buy a wiring harness for the lights newer style harness

There is a possible glitch with the idea of changing the lights to 12 volt...

The trucks came with 2 different style flasher units....the older style will not work with 12 volts but the newer style, solid state type, will work with 12 volts.

The difference will be found on the firewall...near the master cylinder...you will have one of the following 2 boxes as a flasher control...the first is called a "distribution box" and will not work with 12 volts....while the 2nd is the solid state unit that will:

If you have the 2nd one, good to go!!

If you have the first one, you have options...you can convert to the 2nd style, details here:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...signal_convert

OR
    If you are electrically talented, you can redo the internals of the distribution box to work on 12 volts, details here:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...istbox_convert

Hope that helps some...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I converted to 12 volts using the existing harness (I plan to install an EZ wiring kit soon). Since the engine temp and fuel gauges are still 24 volts, I have installed a small 12 to 24 V converter (about $25 on Ebay). The Wagner bulb list here on the manuals section was a big help. I ordered the bulbs off ebay, they are pricey at the auto parts stores. The previous owner had a 12V starter on the chevy 350, but had to be replaced with a new one because it had been used on 24v, which took its toll. I have the later solid state flasher which works well on 12V.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce3445 View Post
    everything is on a 24v system we just want the lights to be 12v and everything to stay the same i was just wondering if u could buy a wiring harness for the lights newer style harness
    If you plan on leaving everything else 24v (starter, ignition, ect...) then why bother to switch the lights to 12v? If it's to save a couple buck on replacement bulbs, I wouldn't think it was worth it. If you plan on doing a motor swap then it makes sense as you would be converting everything to 12v.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/