Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 230 engine Timing

Question 230 engine Timing

Considering the truck is 24 volt, can I used a normal timeing light on it. And how do you connect lead to coil?

Well...it can be done....

Item #1, you need a standard type spark plug and wire for the #1 cylinder. The plug you need is an Autolite #275 or equivalent. A standard wire will work if you take the cap end of the wire, strip it so the center conductor material is exposed for about ¼ to ½ inch...take the metal top off the ignitor unit...drop the cap from the bottom of that...stick the cap end of the wire through the lid and carefully seat it in the proper hole on the cap. If you arent careful, you can break the cap doing this and have to buy another one...
    With the wire in, reassemble the cap to the lid and the lid to the ignitor housing.

An inductive timing light will want to hook to the #1 spark plug wire and to the positive and negative of a 12 volt power source. Some pull a car up close and hook to its battery to get that, others pull a battery from a 12 volt vehicle and use it...others tap off the one battery in the truck that has the ground wire running to the frame of the truck...not the one that has its positive going to the starter. All of these give 12 volts.

Then you are ready to go.

If you do have something that need to connect to the coil, you can take the lid off the ignitor and verify which wire is which...coil negative is the place to hook up a dwell tach for example. On the outside of the ignitor housing is a large hex plug, pretty much facing rear, that you need to remove. Run your test wire in through that opening and up to the top of the coil and then hook it to the verified correct terminal.

Spec is 5 degrees before TDC. You might want to clean the timing marks on damper before you begin....I like to make a nice thin line with liquid paper at the degree spec line...shows up good when timing.

I assume the reason for the standard plug wire is so you can place the inductive clamp over the wire? I guess the light can not pick up an indication of spark through the military metal plug wire jacket.
    I am just a back yard mechanic so I may something that makes no sense at all, but if I do not ask and research I will never know more.

Yep, that is exactly why....guess that should have been noted...sorry...

Just got done timing my truck...seems like the throttle is a bit more snappy about 8-9 degrees of advance...anyone advance theirs a degree or two etc?

Two other options to use a 12V inductive timing light.

1. There is an adaptor made to use between the #1 sparkplug wire end and the cap. It allows a standard inductive pickup to be used.

2. If you have an old shielded spark plug wire, you can cut about 1" from the shielding (I used a dremel) and the core is a standard plug wire for which you can use the inductive pickup.

Default timing

All you have to do is take the metal clip ends off of a long (non-shielded) spark plug wire and stuff it into both the cap and the plug. Just make sure the inner wire is intact and push it all the way in so it makes contact ant doesn't ground out.

Pull your wife's car up to the 715 and run the 12v leads to that battery. You can use your other vehicle, but using the wife's is more fun...

You have to set the idle to spec before you time it. Very important.

Turns out there was an old wire with the shielding cut off in a small section left in my truck when I bought it, I guess they used it for timing. I still can not free my distributor, I tried heating it up and was tapping with a hammer but does not seem to want to move.

There are two bolts on the keeper on the base of the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by gregolma715 View Post
    There are two bolts on the keeper on the base of the distributor.
    I only found one?