Thread: Bed Tonneau Cover

Default Bed Tonneau Cover

I did some searching with no luck. Are there any vendors that sell a military style canvas tonneau type cargo cover, like you see on trailers?

I have not seen one, but it should be easy to purchase the material and have one stitched. I am not sure how easy it would be to keep it tight on all sides, but I am sure it could be done.

The US model M416 which is basically the same as the Canadian model M101 trailer is the only mv with a flat cover. This is the little 1/4 ton trailer meant to go behind M38's, M38A1's, M151's and M1009's. They had supports under the tarp to hold it up.

I would imagine a bit of time with 3/4" PVC pipe, some T's and a heat source could get you some pretty nifty supports. Then it is just a matter of figuring out what size to get the canvas cut. A cheap Walmart blue tarp would make a great cutting template.

The stock cargo cover tie downs should work great for this too.

Academy has canvas tarps probably cheaper than the usual military suppliers.

A grommet kit and some rope would be the last steps. I would suggest super rope because it is sooooo easy to put stuff on and off. It just isn't the right authentic look for the M715.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

By the way, where about exactly are you in Plano? My wife's parents live off Legacy just West of Alma.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Pretty close! Near Coit & Spring Creek Parkway.

Default M416 Cover size

I wonder what size the cover is for the M416? I took some quick measurements and determined the horizontal surface to be covered is 69"x97". Plus, some extra to go over the sides with a hem and grommets. I've got access to grommeting tools (sign shop) and could use stainless grommets.

I think this would look really sharp as well as give some protection to cargo.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The US model M416 which is basically the same as the Canadian model M101 trailer is the only mv with a flat cover. This is the little 1/4 ton trailer meant to go behind M38's, M38A1's, M151's and M1009's. They had supports under the tarp to hold it up.

I would imagine a bit of time with 3/4" PVC pipe, some T's and a heat source could get you some pretty nifty supports. Then it is just a matter of figuring out what size to get the canvas cut. A cheap Walmart blue tarp would make a great cutting template.

The stock cargo cover tie downs should work great for this too.

Academy has canvas tarps probably cheaper than the usual military suppliers.

A grommet kit and some rope would be the last steps. I would suggest super rope because it is sooooo easy to put stuff on and off. It just isn't the right authentic look for the M715.

A 416 trailer will fit inside a M715 bed. I don't think that is a good starting point.

When i built my tent for my 1/4 ton trailer I scored some old tent sections at the local army surplus store for $20.00-30.00 per section.They have brass rings on the edges which I used to feed a some bungee rope around to pull the tent tight. The rope I bought from a local hardware store that sell boat supplies also. Good luck with your project.

Andrew

Search on "cargo cover" and you'll get a ton of hits, both here and google.

I thought a "tonneau cover" meant the flat hard lids some pickups have...