Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put a dodge 318 into an M715???

Default Put a dodge 318 into an M715???

I am looking at purchasing an M715. It will probably need and engine.
    I have a good running Dodge 318LA, (non electronic/non computer vintage),
    that is mated to an NP435 4spd transmission.
    Would the engine be an easy installation itself, or, would it be easier to just drop in the whole engine/trans. assembly.
    Or, am I crazy to even try this. I see many people use the GM 350's, but do not see many folks using 318's.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The 318 should be a fairly easy swap.

Since I doubt anyone makes an adapter for the Chrysler engine to the T98, you'd probably be best off using the whole engine trans combo. You'll have to fab up your mounts and exhaust among other things anyway, so why not go for it?

If you already have the engine it should be a neat project. Build it the way you want it.

I know from experience that even if you intentionally try to kill a 318, it's almost unstoppable. Like Randy said, you should probably keep the two together and go from there.

I am working on this swap into my M-725 (everything regarding the engine swap is going to be the same for the 715, I have a 715 as well.). I mean literally, the 725 is in the shop, I'm ready to pull the 230 tomorrow morning, and I have the 318/4-speed out of a '76 Dodge sitting on the floor next to it.

I've been doing a bunch of measuring and what not, I don't see any reason it won't fit rather easily. I'm going to try to use both the engine and tranny crossmember out of the donor truck.

I thought at first about seeing if I could use the T-98, but it won't bolt up to any of the Chrysler bellhousings I have laying around. I'm not going to persue that any further, and just stick with the 4-speed thats already mated to the 318.

Anyways, I hope to have the 318 in the 725 very soon. I'll have a thread up showing what I did to get it in there as soon as the 318 is in.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Nice thing with the 715's and 725's is that they are so easy to swap almost anything into. I found my 715 to be one of the smoothest vehicles I've ever done a transplant on. Its currently holding a '67 Chevy 396 between the frame rails with room to spare. I also love the fact that the front sheetmetal comes off in one easy chunk. So much accessibility......

I've done most of the 318/NP435 swap when I had my 715. I never got the divorced 205 mounted though or finished all the details. The problems I ran into is the shifter on the 435 will not match the hole in the floor no matter what you do. I got it close by dimpling the firewall a little to widen the cutout for the 6 cyl to set the engine back a little more. This also got the Zbar close to where it was stock on both trucks. You will probably also have to bend the shifter itself a bit to get it to clear the dash. The Zbar clutch linkage was proving to be interesting also. You have to change the length of the rods and how they attach to the pedal to get full travel. The Zbar also will have to be cut down since the 715 has narrower frame rails than a Dodge. I was also working out how to mount the Dodge radiator in the 715 core support. I think it would be best to mount it like in the Dodge trucks rather than the odd setup in the 715 but it would require a little fab to get the body mount to work.

A 318 is a very do-able project, but the 4 speed does add a few kinks that need to be worked around.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Yes, I noticed as well that I don't think I can get the shifter in the same spot as the T-98. It looks like it will have to be moved forward a bit. I'm not against bending the shift to work, so I think it won't be too much of a problem. Only other thing I noticed about having to move the transmission forward a bit, is that I'll have to fab either a different bracket for the x-fer case shift linkages and parking brake, or slightly modify the stock linkage bracket. I haven't gotten as far as to figure an idea out for the clutch linkage, I was going to wait till I got everything in to figure that one out.

So, Elwenil, out of curiosity what did you use for engine and transmission mounts? Also, why did you decide to go with the Dodge radiator? I was thinking about just staying with the 715 radiator and mounts.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Thanks for all the good info. rpj, please keep us updated with the progress on your swap.
    Sounds like a pretty straight forward swap, with not too much reengineering. I also had thought about just using the original radiator, to avoid problems with mounting a different one.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rpgdeity View Post
    So, Elwenil, out of curiosity what did you use for engine and transmission mounts? Also, why did you decide to go with the Dodge radiator? I was thinking about just staying with the 715 radiator and mounts.
    For engine mounts, I used the stock dodge sandwich mounts. I cut the M715 engine mounts off the frame and then cut something like 2" out of them and then re-welded them to the frame. For the trans mount, I think where I placed the engine, the stock trans mount on the Dodge transmission would just barely sit on the crossmember lip on the M715 transmission crossmember. Keep in mind I am doing this all by memory since I haven't seen that truck for probably about a year. BigWheelBob owns it now, so you might be able to get him to take a few pics of the engine mounts and the firewall dimples. I think he pulled the engine and transmission out though. Also, the engine and transmission was out of a '74 W200 with a divorced NP205, so that may make a difference in the trans mount if you have a later mated trans/transfer case setup.

I was going to stick with the Dodge radiator mainly because the 715 radiator is a little small in my opinion, at least for what I intended to do with the truck. Also, my 715 radiator had been through the wringer, and needed some serious repair since several core passages had been pinched and sealed off to stop leaks. Basically I was making due with what I had since I had a nice W200 with a bad frame to use for parts.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Hey Elwenil, where is a good place to get, and what do I need, for exhaust? I have the stock cast manifolds on my 318 right now. I'm not going to spring for headers. I'm thinking I'd like to just do a single exhaust out the passenger side. I think I can use some of the stock exhaust from the 725, but I need from the manifolds to a Y so I can join to the existing exhaust. Where do I start looking?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725