Thread: Fuel tank pickup sock/sleeve

Default Fuel tank pickup sock/sleeve

What are the common methods of replacing this? I found an old thread about blowing it off with air, but looking at the location, I don't see any way to replace it with a new one, which I'd prefer to do while I'm in the middle of cleaning up and replacing the sending unit. I don't want to cut it open as it doesn't leak.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Check out this thread: Its what I did and I did it all through the filler hole.

Fuel tank pickup mod/rebuild
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. After posting the Q, I've been thinking. Since I have a few extra fuel tanks from scrapped cars, I think I might cut the hole bigger and weld in a section of a newer style tank pickup with the rotating lock ring. That should allow easier changing of the screen, and allow for a fuel return line in case I ever change to something that needs it. Great work by the way.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I thought about that too, but then just fixed what I had and went from there. At least if there is a next time, I can pull the tube from the outside.

The main problem I saw with most stock stuff from any other vehicle, is that the tanks are pretty shallow so you'd have to add to the pickup tube for the depth.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I was thinking about splicing in a section of fuel hose to get the extra length, but it would be better in my mind to have an extension with compression fittings or something similar. Your mentioning the 3/8 line as oppsed to the 5/16 kinda solidified my resolve to replace the whole thing. As did your crusty pickup tube picture. Thanks Randy