Thread: Calling all A.M.C. gurus

I am putting a 360/t18 combo in my 715. the engine/bellhousing is from an 80 j20 with t18/np208. I am mating it to a t18/dana20 from a 79 j20. Here is where things get iffy. the t18 from 80 truck has smaller pilot diameter and shorter input shaft than 79. also, the 80 uses a clutch arm and rectangular t/o bearing that is held on with two clips. 79 uses a fork and round bearing ala chevy. Will the 80 clutch/press. plate and t/o brg work with 79 tranny? will I have to use '79 bearing and fork? What combo of parts do I need to make this work? I speak chevy fluently and I speak passible Ford but AMC is indeed a foreign language.

Default tire comparisons

I have found through the AMC era that you are almost always required to use the parts that came with the transmission. The engine to bell housing bolt pattern is the same, but from the pilot bushing to the driveshaft are particular to that transmission and transfer case combo. The spline count on the input shafts are what determines if the clutch will work and the "height" of the pressure plate is what tells you whether or not it will work in the bell housing. I would recommend getting the bell housing for the 79 transmission with all the clutch parts. Since the input shaft lengths are different, the bell housings should not be interchanged.

Just my thoughts,
    Workhorse

Thanks, I can't figure out what the reasoning is for all the change.....maybe too many engineers.

Jeep/AMC made a major change from '79 to '80. '79 was the last year that TH400 and Quadratrac was used, in '80 they went to TF727 trannies on the slush side. I would assume that following the same logic, they figured "let's change everything at once", which is why your two trannies differ. I'm fairly fluent on '79, but '80 is a whole new ball game.

Rich
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715