Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NP200 Leaks

Jester Guest

Default NP200 Leaks

Put new aftermarket seals in and she still leaks like mad. Did not speedi-sleave the yokes but they did not appear grooved.

What next? I can drive very far before it leaves a puddle under the truck.

I am really at my last straw with this thing - about ready to yard it and put in a NP205.

What fluid are you using? If you run synthetic, it will leak more...

What seals? The mil ones are usually have a better double lip type with a stronger metal hull where some of the civvy ones have a thinner hull and a single lip seal...not as good at all.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    What fluid are you using? If you run synthetic, it will leak more...

What seals? The mil ones are usually have a better double lip type with a stronger metal hull where some of the civvy ones have a thinner hull and a single lip seal...not as good at all.

Running reg gear oil. Using the civi seals. It leaks ALOT. After driving for 30 mins or so it will leave a puddle.

I don't know what to tell you. My old seals only leave a few drops if I have driven the truck more than 100 miles at a time. Otherwise, it just looks oily.

Can you tell where it is leaking from? It shouldn't be all of the seals unless somehow, you got all wrong ones.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I don't know what to tell you. My old seals only leave a few drops if I have driven the truck more than 100 miles at a time. Otherwise, it just looks oily.

Can you tell where it is leaking from? It shouldn't be all of the seals unless somehow, you got all wrong ones.

Yup - basically leaking from the 3 seals I replaced. Can see the trail.

I used the part number listed here to get the Timken seal.

The seals you replaced are? Front and rear output seals? The seal for the stub shaft? My guess would be the yokes are worn enough you are not getting a good seal. You would need the speedy sleeves and another reseal. Not worth the time or effort on a 200. You better start looking for a 202. A 205 will work too. I just know how to install a 202 thats all.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    The seals you replaced are? Front and rear output seals? The seal for the stub shaft? My guess would be the yokes are worn enough you are not getting a good seal. You would need the speedy sleeves and another reseal. Not worth the time or effort on a 200. You better start looking for a 202. A 205 will work too. I just know how to install a 202 thats all.
    Pretty much what I figure too. I have put a lot of work into that boat anchor.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Wipe the seals off really good and then check to see where the oil is actually coming from.

I have found that a lot of transmission and pinion seals along with transfer case seals will leak not from the seal itself, but from around the metal housing when its driven into the housing. I started using Permatex Form-A-Gasket around the outer circumference of the seals before driving them in now.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Wipe the seals off really good and then check to see where the oil is actually coming from.

I have found that a lot of transmission and pinion seals along with transfer case seals will leak not from the seal itself, but from around the metal housing when its driven into the housing. I started using Permatex Form-A-Gasket around the outer circumference of the seals before driving them in now.

I will look at that

Another thing to look at, sometimes the splines get a little loose and the oil can seep from the spline itself. When I put yokes on, I put some sealer on the spline itself before I slide it on. . .