Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: joesco715 : Stripping vs Blasting and other ?'s

Default joesco715 : Stripping vs Blasting and other ?'s

Stripping vs Blasting and other ?'s
    Post by joesco715 on Dec 23, 2006, 7:19pm

Merry Christmas Fellow Zoners,

I am almost at the end of my disassembly of the front-end (damage) of my newly aquired Hercules Diesel re-powered 715 and reassembly of the new parts.

A few questions please....

Should have cab sand blasted or paint strip it myself with some power-wire brushing? If I strip it, what would you recommend as a stripper?

Also, how difficult a job is it to remove the bed? I have access to both a loader and forklift. If it not to much trouble, i would like to POR the frame underneath along with the bottom of the bed.

I have POR'd the inside floors and installed a set of Cherokee bucket seats. That stuff works great, but expensive ($33.00 per quart)

Could you seasoned Zoners recommend some nice rubber floor matting that will not only protect the newly painted floors, but provide some insulation?

Thanks!

Default webstercj8 :

Re: Stripping vs Blasting and other ?'s
    Post by webstercj8 on Dec 23, 2006, 7:24pm

I'm curious, the truck you got, is it the truck were the winch was activated and pulled in the front end?

Default joesco715 :

Post by joesco715 on Dec 23, 2006, 7:25pm

Yes, that's the one.

Default vrod02 :

Post by vrod02 on Dec 23, 2006, 7:42pm

Aircraft stripper lots!Were a approved resperator. outside 50-60 day cover with thin plastic ,the right stuff that dont melt!Cannot be exposed to air or the stripper will not bite correctly. let sit for 1 1/2 hours powerwash all coats off in 30 minutes to bare metal.Dry!!!!! lightly hase wd40 so not to flash pull inside then if you want to detail up with sanding or blasting go for it.This will save you money if you send it out to bead blast,most here are 90 an hour. so 90% of the blasting is done via stripper.Plus the gay coats are light in the hard to reach areas, comes of quick with the blast if you want to disasemble. Bed removal does'nt look to be hard just soak all bolts including tank strap with break loose for a couple days would be my .02

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Dec 23, 2006, 7:45pm

I used Bix stripper at about $12.00 per gallon, worked great.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Dec 23, 2006, 9:37pm

The question is do you have rust? If you have rust I would have it sandblasted to remove the rust. If not stripper works well, but is time consuming and can be dangerous if you don't take percausions. i.e. rubber gloves, splash shield, resperator etc.

Default mtlbeast67 :

Post by mtlbeast67 on Dec 24, 2006, 12:23am

I took off my bed,windshield frame,brush guard,other little pieces and had them blasted. I think they used Black Beauty media not sand. I wanted to find as much rust as possible. No regrets . If i do another truck i would blast every part i could. LM

Default berkahna :

Post by berkahna on Dec 24, 2006, 1:30am

I would not ssand blast any body panels it can distort and will harden the surface which will make any filing difficult if you need to blast use a softer material eg sodium bicarbonate

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Dec 24, 2006, 10:38am

I had every part of the truck blasted. No warping. I disassemblied the truck completly before I started blasting. The bed is easy to remove. Just take the gas tank off remove the bolts. $ guys can lift it off but a front loader is much easier. I have done it both ways.

I was not happy with the POR 15 It started to peel off my frame. I followed the directions exactly. I called the tech support and they ask how close I live to the ocean. I was 20 miles from the cost so they figured the salt air was the problem. They refunded my money. I use Zerorust now and it is a much better product. Less prep work and easier to apply. It also holds up better.

Default beast :

Post by beast on Dec 24, 2006, 11:51am

I had every piece of metal on my truck blasted. They used sand for the heavy stuff like the frame, and bed, and others, and crushed walnut shell for the cab, doors, fenders, and hood and such. Warping only happens when someone doesn't know how to correctly media blast, and lets heat build up by working in one small area. I had a local guy who is well known in the hot rod world do my truck. He had every piece done in a short time and it only cost me $2000 for it all. The best was that we worked together on what order I needed the parts for paint and reassembly, so that as soon as he was done with a part I went picked it up, painted it and was ready for the next one he had done. You can tell the progress by looking at the restoration pages on my 715 site http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    Stripping seams to me to be a huge and dangerious mess. Plus the 40 year old original paint on these trucks can be fairly stubborn to remove.