Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel or Rope?

Default Steel or Rope?

Winch line that is. Almost finished modifying my 7" channel bumper I built to allow my winch to fit behind it. I have 3/8's steel cable that is in good shape, should I reuse it or buy some new winch rope? What is everyones experiences with these? I need to buy a new fairlead and should make a decision before I do. I probably won't use the winch much, but it will be fully functional. What do you think?

I have never used the rope, so I can only offer my opinion.

I have yet to see any commercial operation use anything but steel cable for any kind of lifting/winching work. You would think if non steel was better that people who make their living with it would switch. I haven't seen that. I think the rope thing is a fad that will stay with the light duty folks and fade away in a few years once all the magazines stop running pictures of sponsored vehilces using them.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I thought that our trucks ,or the winch used 7/16 cable?

I have a 'Garwood' I'm thinking of using roap on, as the 1/2in steel cable is heavy.

Might still be a good idea to carry some cable withloops at either end just incase there is an obsacle that the rope will touch when winching. The guys I know that have used it said it works great but tears up easy if it rubs on rocks or trees.

I am running rope on my HS9500i that is on my M1009,and I like it.The only real problem I see is that if your having somebody pull the cable that is not familliar with it they tend to try and run it over sharp edges and rocks just like cable.You have to remind them it is not cable and have them move it.The breaking point on mine is 22500 and I think the reason wreckers arent using them is the fact that you have to be careful with it or it will get cut.Most of the guy's I ride with have went to rope.

JP magazine had an article in their June '05 issue on this subject. Perhaps it's on their website. But whatever you do DON'T PM me an email address for me to send you scanned copy.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

One thing I've wondered about -- supposedly, if it breaks, synthetic rope will basically drop to the ground as it has no significant mass (not because it doesn't stretch as some think). What happens if the tow point breaks loose on the stuck vehicle?

I'm betting synthetic rope would launch the towhook and broken off attachment point further and faster than wire rope would. (Since the mass/weight of the wire rope would add some braking and resistance to the flying hook and shackle.)
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Quote Originally Posted by bump_r View Post
    But whatever you do DON'T PM me an email address for me to send you scanned copy.
    Okay... I'll post my e-mail address here then....

j/k
    -- Tim Taylor

All electrical companys use rope to lift poles and transformers and such. It dosen't conduct electricity. The main disadvatage is it will get damaged very easy on a sharp edge or any rubbing. I would also think that a rope rated for the same cap. as steel would be quite a bit larger so you couldn't hold as much on the drum. It would be alot lighter though.