Thread: Met an interesting guy...

Default Met an interesting guy...

This last weeknd I was at a carshow, one of the many I have at this time of year, when this older gentleman comes up to me. He was a former Marine that used to drive a M715 in Vietnam and Hawaii. He said there were very few in Veitnam mostly M37's. This we already knew. He also helped me on my markings placement. He told me that the hood numbers needed to be higher up on the hood, so they could be seen from the air. Also the Marines never used the bridge plates or the marking on the door like the army, not needed were his words, this was something I was pretty sure of and he confirmed it for me. The last thing he told me was that if the truck came from the motor pool then it was also marked in the center of the door like this:

US MARINE CORPS
    890825 (numbers would be centered)

This was only used on trucks that came from the motor pool. the grunts would not use the door markings. Thought it was kinda of cool to talk to an old Marine that drove the truck in combat and knew the correct markings.

That is neat..in this hobby it is a vital way to learn...from those who have gone before.

Nice info on the markings...thanks for posting it!

That is real neat Bryant. The most heard comment to me by people was "Is that a real military truck like these other ones?" I was parked between the M35A2 of Sermis that has USMC markings and a USMC marked M813 5-ton.

I guess I need to take my bridge plate off then.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    . The most heard comment to me by people was "Is that a real military truck like these other ones?" .
    Funny, I get that too, almost as if folks think its not a "real" military truck. I guess because its a Jeep, but not the CJ like most people have burned into their mind as The military vehicle.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The question I hear most is this one, "Is that yours, or did the Marine Corps lend it to you". I get it especially when I am in uniform.

Thats good...wish I was in AND had mine....COOL!