Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: transfer case ?

Default transfer case ?

to all that read i need some advice.
    my tranfer case seems to have a probilem when i try to drive there is a noise under my seat and the 4x4 high and low levers pull apart from each other.

i was told to change out the tranfer case to a np 205 and my trany to a sm465 or a new venture with a 5th gear overdriver

i was woundering what adive would be given
    oh my m715 has a small block 350 in it.
    any feed back would be nice
    i was also woundering if it is true that the np 200 has probilems if driven over 50mph

Default Transfer case

I'm amazed anybody would take the time to put a 350 in your M715 and not change the tranny or transfer case. I suggest you take a trip to your local junk yard find an old Blazer take out the tranny and transfer case have them rebuilt it and install it, that should solve your problem.

I have seen several 350s with the stock trans and tcase....it cures the problem many people have or perceive with the 230 AND adds power...quite a bit of it.

Driven above 50 mph for distances of 50 + miles, especially in warm weather, will make heat in many NP200 cases...there are some that dont have the heat problems...there are others that do...mine does.

The tcase is roughly below the rear part of the cab...so a noise under your seat could be coming directly from it OR the trans even. Not being able to hear the noise limits the ability to diagnose this...is it a grinding or something else? Is it from just above idle and up or from, say 30 mph or so and up?

The sticks moving apart....they do get loose at times...and they can move a little under the torque of the drivetrain...more from the former than the latter by far. The shift linkage, when tight and not under big torque input, doesnt move in that way...not in any that I have seen anyway...the linkage is pretty solid if tight is my point.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

As far as the NP205...i is a great swap for an M715.
    You do ave to make mounts...you can use the stock crossmember and go from there...we have several peoples methods online...
    You need to do a little machine work to get the stock ebrake to work with the NP205 as well.

In the end though, it gets rid of the heat issues of the NP200, the whine of the NP200, and is just as strong...it also has support in local auto parts sources to a greater degree than the NP200.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

A lot of people have done it. Get the adapter & fab some quick Spicer mounts & throwing in the 350 is a long afternoon's work. As apposed to having to make tranny & t-case mounts too.
    Personal recommendation - just switch out the np200 for a 205. The T98 is a good transmission. No, it doesn't have OD but unless you plan on a lot of hwy driving it is just fine.
    That being said, if you are flush with cash and don't mind a little extra work then get an OD trans too. While you are at it replace the origional axles with a set out of a CUCV and Bam! Modern truck capable of all the highway driving you want lol

Ronner...he has a 350 already...

Yes Jon, I was merely pointing out to Slug that the 350 by itself was quick & easy unlike having to build a complete t-case and tranny mounts from scratch.

Sorry...carry on!

[hanging head]

thanks guys for all the info on the tranfer case i looked at the sticks and linkages they are tight
    but id i drive it over 5 mph the tranfer case makes a noise not gear grinding but more of a popping noise

so i was told that most likely the baring is shot and it is poping the 4 drive in and out of i think that as you both said it is best to change it to a sm 465
    i do intend on driving it on the hwy what is your recomindation for a tranny

thanks once again

i was thinking of a np 205 with a tranny with a OD but i have no idea what has be used or works well with the setup
    thanks guy's