Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Special

I keep the shower and chem toilet outside. Plumbed a heat exchanger into heater hoses and have hot water on demand. Uses a 12v pump and heats a 5 gallon bucket to too hot in a couple minutes. I use a bilge pump in the bucket once it's to desirable shower temp, plumbed through PVC and a shower head.
    You have/keeping the rear benches and storage within? I have LOTS of tools and parts stored in those suckers. When I put the humvee Gypsy rack on top, I'm going to do a couple things: weld a pipe receiver in the center to put a pole which will have my 35' parachute on top- then extendable horizontal outriggers will extend out in 4 directions to hold the 'chute up, effectively shading the whole truck and surrounding area. Keeping cool and sun off the metal in the desert makes for comfortable camping. Can hang a shower/toilet curtain (if the girlfriend's camping with) off one of these too.
    Instead of a shelf in the cab, I made this storage/table setup. Posted pix a few years back....
    I use dual Jamar line lock for e-brakes- plumbed from the master cylinder to under the dash.

[

This will be good thread to watch. that's my post in the wanted section about making a camper. You work ALLOT faster then I do. lol

Although I am leaning a little more to the more basic approach like baja's. I'm just sick of tent camping.

what is the inside height of the box?

Could you open up the wall behind the seats or is the truck not constructed that way? I've never actually seen one in person.

CjAl, the box is approx 8' long, 5' high, 6' wide and I dont see why you couldnt open it up. For now I think I like the separation.

I've started disassembling the dodge and for as much as the M725 is not rusted out, the dodge is! I swear this thing was recovered from the titanic! Progress is slow but if I get a block of time during the holidays I may have everything out.

Here's a rough floor plan of how I'm thinking of setting up the box. I'm talking with someone every experienced with this process and I have to decide to gut a rv/trailer or go with top quality marine components. There could be a big difference in cost but I'll deal with this later down the road.

Also, it looks like it's already been converted to 12v which saves me the conversion.

Ok, so I've determined the dodge axles won't work out.
    I'd like to keep the rear spring hangers outboarded they way they are and not have to move the hangers underneath the frame. They problem is that I need a wider axle to fit the 50" width from spring center pin to center pin. The dodge is 50" between the backing plates so this has me headed to the CUCV route.

Also the auto is an A518 with .69 overdrive.

With 37" tires, 4.56 gears, .69 overdrive at 65 mph the cummins is at 1850 rpm.

With stocks M7## axles, 37" tires and .69 overdrive it's 2400 rpm, too much for the cummins. I'd like to be close to to stock which if my math is right is 32" tires, 3.55 gears, overdrive 65 mph is then 1670 rpms.

Default motor's out

Madison Heights, MI, just outside Detroit

Hey there.... I have need of those litter racks .... let me know if you'd like to sell them.

I just acquired a 725 and am planning the same project as you. Tow vehicle/camper. 6bt and aod, with the intercooler. Like to see some detail pics if you have them. Very good article, keep it coming. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Quote Originally Posted by Pen1311 View Post
    Hey there.... I have need of those litter racks .... let me know if you'd like to sell them.
    Actually I will be selling them. Do you need the lower benches as well?

Quote Originally Posted by snakeater View Post
    I just acquired a 725 and am planning the same project as you. Tow vehicle/camper. 6bt and aod, with the intercooler. Like to see some detail pics if you have them. Very good article, keep it coming. Snakeater
    Well, I'd like to have more in the way of updates but I have a priority on stripping the dodge to make room in the garage to work on the M725.

Some of the bonus parts the dodge has I'm hoping to add to the M725 are power brakes, AC, cruise, stock and aftermarket gauges and maybe power steering. This is how it looks now:

I have a line on CUCV axles but I have to sell the dodge axles first. It may be that I have to do a spring over to the front of the stock axle, shackle flip the rear and complete the motor swap before upgrading the axles.

I do plan to use the dodge crossmember/motor mount and in discussions with another member this will work but this is what he found:

I used a gm dana 60 and I have more than enough clearance for the pan and the crosmember.I have a 5 speed getrag in mine that lines up perfect in the shifter hole. Elec. fan is a must . I have the crossmember 2" higher than the frame but that interfered with my st. shaft. You could go a half inch or so shorter and get rid of the rag joint for a borgeson and be alright.Get rid of those cross braces on the front if you are going to have power steering.You will have to lower the steering box stiffener cross rod too. I dont have my front clip on yet so I can't tell you much more .If I come across any good ideas I will let you know.
    Also here's a previous post you might find helpful.

Madison Heights, MI, just outside Detroit

No, actually, I only need the litter racks. I have been trying to locate a set for awhile. The previous owner discarded them years ago. I am trying to return the M725 back to original, or at least as close as I can get.

Let me know what you would want for them. You can reach me by email at:

Pendragon1311@wowway.com

Thanks..... Mike B

For those interested (Mike you should have an email) here's the litter racks.

Everything will go from the benches, to the racks to the straps in the roof for holding the stretchers.

Today was more of removing stuff from the dodge to get it out of the shop.
    One thing I did remove was the crossmember/motor mount, it's the exact width as the M725 frame.

Obviously I have yet to remove the stock motor mounts but you can see how easily this fits and adjusts. I can understand why when cummins are sold they don't come with this crossmember, it's a PITA to remove.