Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 700r4 in 715

I'M trany stupid. My 715 has a 350 chev and a T350 trans out of a 76 camero. My question is - what all is involved in putting a 700r4 behind the sbc or will it bolt right up, is there a difference between the 6 banger and v8 700r4s, my best guess would say the 700r4 is no more or less than a couple inches longer or shorter than the T350 am I correct? I don't have a 700r4 yet but I'm looking. Got one Email me. see wanted section.

Default M715 price question

The 700R4 is around 3" longer than a TH350. It should be the same bolt pattern.

It's longer, same bolt pattern. Get an older one w/out the electronic lockup. If you get a later one you'll need a standalone computer deal. I have one, needs to be rebuilt.
    **I heart Bump_r **

what do you mean a stand alone computer deal? what do I need where to get it any thing else a dumbas$ like me needs to know.
    oh and what does the electronic lockup,lockup?

Thanks Tacoma and anyone else who answers.

Default Just need to replace it...

The torque converter on that tranny will never lock up, for better fuel economy at higher speeds, without a signal from somewhere....unlike older converters that locked up manually at a given speed/gear point, the newer ones are controlled through the computer that runs the rest of the engine and drivetrain stuff. If your not running all the rest of the drivetrain, you wouldnt have the computer, so there would be nothing to send the converter the signal to lockup. Thus the stand alone computer...basically you end up with a box hooked to the system that locks and unlocks it automaticaly...many kits have a button that you can turn on and off to lock and unlock the converter manually...I would think this has obvious advantages for towing/heavy loads and other reasons.
    I do not know where to get these, but if you look around the web and find places that rebuild/high perf build those trannies, most likely they will have the kits for the lockup as well, or links to someone who does.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks Brute. Hope your feeling better. I'll look around and see what I find.

ok guys here's the skinny-according to this site (and the only one I looked at so far) www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm you don't need the computer just a switch and some wire to lock up the tconverter.they sell this set up for $45 (yea right), they also sell a vacum switch and some other do-dads. warning this is a huge page so if you are on dail up give it a half hour or so. I think I will look some more and ask a few people about before I burn somthing up.

the part # is #12 about a 1/4 of the way down the page, also look at #60,#71

Get a tranny from a '85 to 91 truck. 82-84 had a 7 instead of 10 vane pump and 92 and later were computer controlled. the non computer ones are easy to hook up. just be sure to get detent cable and carb bracket from donor veh. these trans have no vac. signal and use detent cable position to shift. B&M , Art Carr,and Summit sell the wiring kit to make them work right. you can even reuse your th350 output yoke

Jeff, mine is an 89. Just incase you were wondering.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

i have a 700r4 from an 89 firebird, works pretty good. i can go 60 no problem at 2500 rpm. ive had it up to 80 before, but wouldnt recomend it. anyway, it works good, but you need to either move the engine really far forward or fabricate a really small driveshaft to go between the t-case and the tranny. mine has an electronic speed sensor, which is not hooked up (i am still trying to figure out if it effects any engine control systems and such) and a lockup solinoid. if i remember correctly, you just have to run a switch between the lockup wire and ground. this will lock it up in all gears, as opposed to just over-drive which is how it works if it is connected to the computer. this is nice when going uphill in second or 3rd gear for a long time to avoid over-heating the transmission. and it WILL over heat on the highway or on heavy load if you dont use the lockup and a big auxilary trans. cooler, trans. temp. guage is an absolute must also. i cut the bottom red light out of my dash and it fits in perfect right there.

-BrianM