Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Selectro Hub Install

Quote Originally Posted by AHood View Post
    I thought of it. im a machinist and I was working at a shop where i had free reign over the machines there in my off time so i was doing this for free for my self. its possible i could produce just the cam and pins but i would need a shop that could do 4 axis milling for me to make any more of them. I still have the cad model of the cam i made. the pins were specific because i remachined and tapped the hand hub for them. they were larger overall with larger threads into the hand hub and all.
    I plan to buy a set of Selectros, and would be very interested in replacing the plastic parts with the metal ones you machined, if at all possible.

That's no place for plastic, IMHO.

Heres the socket tool.

Can someone detail the hub installation process for me?

I received my new Selectros yesterday and the instruction sheet included is written as though there was an exploded view of the hub with the components numbered. There isn't, so I have no idea what the hell they mean: "CAUTION!!! If the screws in position B should be removed...." On and on, not worth paper they're printed on.

The last time I messed around with Selectro hubs was the mid-'80's when a Landcruiser mechanic showed me how to service/disassemble them, and I've forgotten what he said.

I followed the instructions when I installed the first side... second side I asked myself WHY?! On that one I just pulled the axle plate off and bolted the assembled hub in place.

I used some Ultra Black instead of a gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I followed the instructions when I installed the first side... second side I asked myself WHY?! On that one I just pulled the axle plate off and bolted the assembled hub in place.

I used some Ultra Black instead of a gasket.
    Thanks Von. I'll do that. The instructions included with my hubs are unusable, so why not?

FYI the early Selectros had metal cams. They are swappable from the small bolt pattern hubs to the large. So if you can score a pair off a CJ or similar cheap you can run the whole dial assembly on your M715 hubs.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

That is great tech...thanks for posting it!!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

OK maybe I missed it somewhere. Why replace the studs with bolts anyway? I never saw a stud come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by nolfy View Post
    OK maybe I missed it somewhere. Why replace the studs with bolts anyway? I never saw a stud come loose.
    One reason, the studs sticking up around the selector makes it a pain. Especially the 4 long studs. I used some grade 5 allen head bolts I had on hand, kept meaning to switch to grade 8 but never got around to it...

Woop!! I got those ring and pinion gears installed in my truck a week or two ago.
    YUGE difference... The 390, 4 speed and the 4.56 gears get along very nicely.

Excellent, they remind me of the designs I saw in my favorite web forum SEO, it has excellent information