Thread: binfordm715 : Stencils

Default binfordm715 : Stencils

Stencils
    Post by binfordm715 on Sept 18, 2006, 6:07pm

Well, I finally found the proper yellow paint (more or less) and have begun the stencil work. Good news and bad.

First the good:

Cool, huh?! Of course I started with the TP on the back, since it was a good one to practice with. Then I did the other back TP and the fuel caution on the top of the fender. Then I did the tailgate, pictured above.

Just after I shot the first coat on the tailgate, it had been an hour or so for the passenger side TP stencil, so I figured now would be a good time to remove the stencil. But the paint is peeling up with it!!!

I painted right onto clean paint, not sanded, of course, but clean and oil-free.

Am I screwed or what? Would I be better off letting it cure more completely? Or is it going to peel off when drier if it's peeling now?

And if you tell me to take an exacto knife to it, I'm going to cry, because I also sprayed the fuel caution! That'd be a lot of exacto work!

Any ideas?

Default porkchop :

Re: Stencils
    Post by porkchop on Sept 18, 2006, 6:24pm

You need to remove the stencils while the paint is still tacky. Also why did you use the letters with the spaces? The block letters were used by the Marines at that time.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 18, 2006, 6:28pm

It was, slightly.

I put a light coat on it. Then waited a bit and put another coat, etc., for about 5 coats. Then when the top coat was still a bit tacky, I went to pull the stencil off and.....the paint is coming off with it.

On the tailgate, once I saw what happened to the TP, I coated it heavily and pulled it off almost immediately. It worked a lot better that way, as you can see.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Sept 18, 2006, 7:17pm

Hmmmm . Interesting timing for this lesson. I just ordered a complete stencil set from Rick Larsen today. Let us know what more you learn.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Sept 18, 2006, 9:05pm

Yep Timmah you need to take a brush and paint in the breaks in the letters. Same way the Army perscribs it. I think I even have a PS mag around here that talks about that.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 18, 2006, 9:07pm

Anytime you are painting with stencils you should remove them as soon as possible, especially since you are putting paint on a smooth paint surface. Kinda tough to scuff sand in the stencils. I assume you mean the yellow is peeling of with the stencil. A little heavier maybe and then remove stencil, who cares if you can see thru the yellow a little bit. I'm sure they weren't perfect when done by the Marines. Not to say the Marines aren't perfect. Can we scratch them stencils off while brush running this coming weekend?