Thread: Vehicle Serial Number Locations

Default Vehicle Serial Number Locations

I know I saw an illustration pointing out the location of the serial numbers on the truck frame. They were stamped somewhere in the rear and somewhere in the engine compartment. I can't find it in the manuals but must have been there as I don't know where else I would have seen it. A PDF search did not find it either. Of course I know it's on the data plate but want to see if they match. More about the mis-match later.

Here ya go:

Default Thats it!

Where is it printed? I know I saw it in the past but could not find it.

It isnt posted anywhere right now...we used to have a "basic training" section with this an other things in it...as it is, it is linked at this address:

http://www.m715zone.com/jonmisc/vin_on_frame.jpg

Default Not here...

I saw it in a manual in the past but don't know where. It showed each serial number location in a seperate illustration, unlike yours which shows both. Darn if I can remember where.

We had a pic of the front one before the crash...not sure I remember the other...another thing I have forgotten maybe...

Default Resurecting this thread

Can anyone tell me exactly where these numbers are? Top of frame, outside of frame, inside of frame? Small, large numbers? I can't find anything at these locations but due to rust and corrosion they may be gone..

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Can anyone tell me exactly where these numbers are? Top of frame, outside of frame, inside of frame? Small, large numbers? I can't find anything at these locations but due to rust and corrosion they may be gone..
    Top of frame, exactly where the drawing shows. The numbers are about 1/4" high. If they are not stamped very deep, paint and dirt will hide them. Get a wirebrush and go to work!

Default Nothing there.

Is it on the reinforcement for the corner gussets or the frame top. There are numbers on the side of the frame where the sway braces are welded but can't male them out.

I was shown at the FE that there are numbers stamped on the sides of the frame that one can see in the wheelwell in front of the tire. it is a 5 digit number that starts with a 3 but is split so that the first 2 digits are above the next 3...something like:

It is NOT a vin...it is the part number for that part of the frame...there is one just like it only 1 digit off on the drivers side...and it was checked on another truck to find it has the exact same number.

So if thats what you found, nope.

The number you are looking for is on top of the frame rail on that welded on piece in front of the u channel support. When you look down from the passenger side, under the hood, at the frame rail, you see the u channel welded ont a piece of flat about 5 inches long front to rear that is welded to the top of the frame rail. This piece of flat sticks forward about 2-3 inches in front of the u channel. It is on this section of the flat that is in front of the u channel that the vins were stamped.

The arrow in the image above is trying to point to that location right on top of the frame and right in front of the u channel.