Thread: fisherman : Dana 60 kingping shim's

Default fisherman : Dana 60 kingping shim's

Dana 60 kingping shim's
    Post by fisherman on Oct 24, 2006, 12:38am

I thought I put them all back in the right place top ones on top, bottom ones on bottom one side done at a time as to not mix them up. Anyway they are to tight. I ordered a shim kit. Need to know the setup. Proper setup would be what? How many shim's of what size on top or bottom and which one do I make adjustments to. Is there a recipe for setting these things up? I added a whole bunch to the top of one side to get it loose enought to turn. Now the other side. I just don't want to go any farther until I know more so as not to have to do it more than once. Any help appreciated. Is there something in the online manuals that help with this setup? I know on earlier dana axles there are no shims on bottom and you add them to the top. My front axle came with shim's top and bottom. Is there a preload also for pounds of pull when turning? Any and all help greatly appreciated. I need to finish this and check off one more thing. Thanks Again Fisherman

Default airborne :

Re: Dana 60 kingping shim's
    Post by airborne on Oct 24, 2006, 8:15am

I thought 7-9# pull on steering arm with a spring scale was correct(???????). .02

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Oct 24, 2006, 1:15pm

The procedure is:

(1) Position steering knuckle (12 fig 13-1) on axle housing (28).
    (2) Position lower shim pack (62 through 65) on steering knuckle and cone and rollers (66) and cup (67) into housing.
    (3) Position lower king pin bearing cap on steering knuckle (12) and install four washers (60) and cap screws (59). Tighten 80 lbs-ft.
    (4) Position upper shim pack (13), woodruff key, steering arm and upper pivot pin (14) on steering knuckle (12). Install four new self locking nuts (15). Tighten to 80 lbs-ft.
    (5) Position seal ring, felt seal (74) and oil seal retainer (24) to steering knuckle (12).
    (6) Clean threads of cap screws (26). Apply sealant to threads and install using new seal washers (25). Tighten to 20 lbs-ft. Refer to figure 13-1.
    (7) Check pivot pin pre-load as follows:
    (a) Hook a spring scale in tie rod socket hole in steering knuckle arm (#14, fig 13-1) with steering knuckle in straight ahead position.
    (b) Observe scale indication when knuckle has just started its sweep. Scale indication should be between 12 to 16 pounds.

Figure 13-1:

Hope that helps...

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on Oct 24, 2006, 1:41pm

12 to 16.#s Where did you find that Jon?

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Oct 24, 2006, 2:16pm

Thanks Brute, that helps with the preload measurements from using a spring scale. Still not for sure a starting point with shims top or bottom. Memphis Equipment Service Department guy told me shim the bottom. The bottom kingpins were fine and rotated well, only with the top loose. With the top tight and bottom loose still would not rotate. He told me then shim the top only until they work freely and you have the proper pre load. Just seems to me there would be a recipe start at .025 or something on the bottom and top and shim equally? Oh well guess I'll finish it up doing it the way he recommended. Thanks Again Brute

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Oct 24, 2006, 2:29pm

The procedure is in the -34 manual in the front axle section, chapter 13.