Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

Chop chop! We want to see this thing on the road!

It finally happened! We test drove it for the first time today! And it went pretty well! The tires are downright awful in the snow but otherwise it went ok. We also have to figure out why the charging system isn't working and fix a few other things. But it worked!!! That was so satisfying to drive it again! We'll have a video soon from today. I'll post it when I have it.

@hayeselmotors

Congrats and great job on the posts. Thank you.

Yes, congratulations. Good feeling when you actually get to drive the truck after all of your hard labor.

Thanks all! It was a blast taking it for a spin yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLNssrozmWU

Here's our video of the final engine rebuild and startup with the new exhaust! I should hopefully have the test drive video in the next few days!

@hayeselmotors

Congratulations!

Nice. How many grins per mile did the first drive get?

Thanks all! A handful of smiles per gallon but a lot of apprehension. haha. I was trying to pay attention to everything and decipher all the sounds and sensations. But I absolutely loved it!

Here's a link to our first drive video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DczjiP3bUDs

It went well for the most part but there was a charging system issue (suspected dead cell in the 10yr old batter), steering wheel wasn't attached as straight as I thought it was, brakes need adjusted, my grille fell off, injector 4 broke, and the truck is idling kind of high (1250-1350rpm). I tested infinite resistance in the fuel injector so a new one is on the way; as well as a new idle air control valve. I think I broke mine when I tried to clean it.

@hayeselmotors

While waiting for the replacement injector and IAC valve to get here, I've been fiddling around with some of the smaller projects. I finally was able to finish installing the windshield wipers and sprayers! I'm really happy how they came out. They have self-park and appear to be synchronized. Not too bad for $200 or so. I just need to finish installing the wires and they'll be good to go.

While I was working on that, John was working on the gauges. He was able to get all the back lights working, the GPS speedo to work, and voltmeter to work. Once we have the sending units wired for the fuel, oil, and water temp gauges, they should work too.

Then today I was able to modify the battery box to incorporate a radio and speakers. I went with marine ones so they should be fairly water resistant. I'm planning on running by the store tomorrow so I can get speaker wire and an antenna hopefully.

Lastly, parts are also on the way to finally hook up the parking brake. We have plenty to do but I may be able to take it for another spin this weekend (weather permitting).

@hayeselmotors

alright, so my new fuel injector came in Friday after work. I checked it's resistance with my voltmeter and it looked good. So I installed it, reinstalled the upper intake and started it up. it was running well for a moment then I started smelling gas and saw quite the cloud coming from the tailpipe. I hooked up the code reader and this time I had "Open circuit injector 8". So... the intake came back off. That injector tested ok so it has to be the old and brittle connectors. I ziptied all of the connectors to the injectors so hopefully this will keep them all firing.

Next, I finally got around to hooking up my parking brake. I had to modify my handle bracket a bit but we made it work.

After that, I finished my cover plates for the trans cover and seals.

I also fabb'd up a bracket for my radio antenna so that part of the project is finished!

At this point, the truck is a driver! The only thing keeping me from driving out of my neighborhood is my lack of seating. Hopefully the seats finish reupholstery this week but I'm not super optimistic on that one. That didn't stop me and John from making a run to the store at the end of my neighborhood. And now with the pavement drying I gave it some throttle. And WOW! The torque and power this thing has! It really takes off! It still feels a bit like a tractor from the bumpy ride and long throw on the shifter, but now it's a fast tractor! It should have no problem getting up to speed on Michigan's 45mph roads. I'm still not 100% on making it to 65mph but I'm going to need to if I want to make it to Utah. I might try to find a hood retainer of some sort. I really don't wan't that to fly up on the highway...

Next up are tent mounts, rock sliders, roll bars, and finishing the sending units for the gauges.

@hayeselmotors