Thread: Delco Remy Alternators

Default Delco Remy Alternators

Might be old news but if you need a 24 volt alternator and also want 12 volts for a few accessories the Delco SI series work great. I recently bought an M-37 and it has one in it. There are many sizes up to 160 amps. They bolt in with few problems and its just one connection to the battery. And, there is a 12 volt terminal if you want 12 volt accessories. For the '715 I don't know about the 3 belt pulley fitting but I have been told there is probably one that will fit at the supplier.
    Last edited by rboltz; September 24th, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

News to me...thats very interesting. Do you know how many amps in 12 volt can safely be drawn from such a unit?

Sounds like an interesting problem solver...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    News to me...thats very interesting. Do you know how many amps in 12 volt can safely be drawn from such a unit?

Sounds like an interesting problem solver...
    Depends on the alternator. My M37 has the SI21 and the sheet says 4 amps. Not a lot but enough to run a radio/CD and/or some other accessories. You can get units up into the 260 amp range.

http://www.delcoremy.com/Alternator/...ternators.aspx
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Good info... I was thinking of running 24 and 12 volt systems myself. I'd like to keep all the original stuff at 24 and just add on a 12v alternator and seperate single battery circuit. I'd like to run a winch and a radio off the 12v circuit. I poked around on summitracing.com and they have tons of "1 wire" alternators that only require a single wire hookup to the positive side of the battery. They have some 100amp ones with v-belt pulleys that start around $75 and go from there. There are also some 150-160amp ones for less than $100. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Probably with battery and alternator it wouldn't be too much more expensive than swapping everything to 12v (you'd still need the alternator). For someone not looking to use it for winching etc, I know we got a 50-60 amp one wire alternator for our old dodge and it was 30 bucks or so with a core.

The military on/off switch is perfect for the SI alternators.

Bolt power in to the back of the alternator. Run the power out wire from the plug on the side into the power in stud. Then run the exciter wire to one side of the on/off switch. Run the rest of the truck off the other switched post on the switch. No relay needed and by running a 3 wire alternator, no draw on the battery when sitting for a long time or having to rev up to get charge started.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Any guidance on a pulley and where I can get one if I went with a Delco SI alternator? I’m looking to buy a 715 that someone attempted to convert to 12v, but the only thing they changed was the alternator to a single pulley 12v and removed one battery.

I have seen dual belt pulleys for sale on eBay and such in the past.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I don't have a minute to find exactly what you need, but this place is really something. I just found a conversion pulley for something not related to M trucks. Great place.

https://www.aspwholesale.com/alternator-parts.html